[SP] Aperture Halloween

[SP] Aperture Halloween

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 am

With the soothing warmth of the summer sun dried up and the autumn wind sweeping through the evermore leafless treetops, you cuddle up at home to play a nice little round of Portal. But on this very holiday, the Aperture Science Laboratories aren't what they used to be.

Gameplay note:
This map plays best with the instructor hints activated (Wheatley telling you to „Say apple“ in the beginning). If you turned them off, type „gameinstructor_enable 1“ into the console to activate them again.

Brought to you by: Lpfreaky90, Mevious and Zivi7

Click here to download Aperture Halloween
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Aperture Halloween

Postby zivi7 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 am

Happy Halloween!

There are some people we must thank for playtesting, instances, models and generally being a great help:

Azorae, Brainstone, Chickenmobile, Miss Stabby, Motanum, Mothalius, Mumbles, no00dylan, Ross Friedberg and Skotty.

Without you, this map would be nowhere near the final result, thanks a lot!
zivi7
Community Contributor

Postby Jepp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Just played this masterpiece guys and it was totally great from start to finish! Awesome concept of a Halloween map that's not particularly aimed at being scary but still having a great spooky atmosphere, really cozy with the relay candles also!

The first part with the flashlight was nice, it moved quite okay and contributed to the search and find aspect, it felt awesomely thought trough and executed! There was some issues with not that great texturing and lighting at some places but it didn't bring down the overall feel for me. Other than that the lighting was overall nice, diverse and logically placed. I was happily surprised to find puzzles towards the end of the map, which I first thought were only aimed at telling a story. The puzzles were really nice, felt fresh and with original puzzle ideas.

The puzzle with the four rooms that were divided with fizzler sorta bugged out for me I guess or maybe I missed something. The cube button in the middle square room didn't turn the fizzler back on when I removed the cube so I could just jump to the exit with the cube without loosing my portals. Last puzzle was really neat, straightforward and well designed. Difficulty was in figuring how to do stuff rather than figuring out what had to be done and that's what makes a great puzzle, also the solution was really neat.

Overall a great example of a map that focuses on really capturing and entertaining the player rather then just stacking one puzzle after the other and with a difficulty that most people should enjoy!

Happy Halloween!:)
Two Coop-mappacks and more! Check it out and leave a comment here!
Jepp
Community Contributor

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 pm

version 2 is now uploading:

* Fixed pti sounds playing at the start of the map.
* Fixed clipping textures in the end corridor.
* Fixed a way to get stuck in the candle introduction.
* Fixed missing autosave.
* Fixed missing ceiling models.
* Fixed some clipping models.
* Fixed some water that was not rendered.
* Fixed some signage acting up weird.
* Fixed music continuing for too long.

* Put a floating button back to earth
* Added a few hints in the final puzzle.
* Moved a candle that almost lit a wall on fire.
* Re-connected an indicator light.
* Changed the behavior of the turret production unit.
* Changed some triggers to prevent weird behaviour in the final room.

* Added clips to the plants in the corridor again.
* Added new decorative candles; in orange, blue and pink with better lighting.
* Added a small brush to hide a floating turret production unit.
* Added more coffee cups. You can never have enough of them.
* Removed unused clip textures.
Lpfreaky90

Postby HMW » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:33 am

This map is totally awesome! I love how it combines "normal" Portal puzzles with some exploration parts and some story telling. And some fun sort-of scary things like the turret that's suddenly there, the crash test dummies that appear in the offices and the totally dark part with the frankencubes.

Replacing the relays with candles is a nice touch too. Great job on the model design!
Just remember to put them out before going to bed, or your whole enrichment center might burn down. :)

From a technical point of view, one thing I like in particular, is the portal-enabled wall panel you can carry around. I think this has lots of potential for making interesting puzzles.

I have only one small bit of criticism: near the beginning of the map, you pass through an area where you have to fling up a hole to get past a nest of turrets. The design of that lower room is of a much lower quality than the rest of the map. Did you guys run out of time before finishing that part?
(It's not horrible, it's just that it stands out from the rest, because the other parts look great and this one area looks a bit less great.)
Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far
My Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW

Postby ChickenMobile » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 am

The map was made by a number of people. Zivi7 made that bit ;)
ChickenMobile

Postby zivi7 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:16 am

HMW wrote:
From a technical point of view, one thing I like in particular, is the portal-enabled wall panel you can carry around. I think this has lots of potential for making interesting puzzles.

We have to thank Brainstone for coming up with a nice way to make this possible at all: mapping-help/carryable-wall-piece-physbox-not-working-solved-t6679.html
We modified that instance slightly: A noportalvolume on the back prevents that the wall starts jumping around when shot with a portal from the back. And moving the actual wall a few units into the not-rendered base prevents that it sinks into the floor when tipped over.

edit: Forget the noportalvolume. It turns out that it was the reason for the problem PCDoc and others ran into. Make it an invisible func_brush instead. :thumbup:

HMW wrote:
I have only one small bit of criticism: near the beginning of the map, you pass through an area where you have to fling up a hole to get past a nest of turrets. The design of that lower room is of a much lower quality than the rest of the map. Did you guys run out of time before finishing that part?

Oh, that room is meant to be a kind of test chamber that's observed from within the office area there. Originally there were a few test elements in there to reinforce this, but they could easily mislead players to think they would need to use them.

edit: But there is still something to see in that area for the exact observer. :thumbup:
Last edited by zivi7 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zivi7
Community Contributor

Postby PCdoc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Just 2 Votes ?? Come on people - give all these hard working folks a Vote !!
This was Terrific - incredible - the group of you have really created something that no single person could. And what a creation it was. I sincerely hope that this same group goes on to create more of these. We need MORE !!!!

Admittedly I got stumped in the Turret test chamber. I simply did not realize that the wall holding the dummy was portable, and I simply did not realize that Turret bullets could break Glass. They never have before - so why would they now ? So I could not get through the glass into the viewing room. I went all the way back into the previous office below all the Turrets . . looking for any CHAIR THAT WOULD ALLOW ITSELF TO BE PICKED UP !!! The idea was to use a chair to break the glass. But alas - no - all chairs were glued to the floor it seemed. Finally it just suddenly occurred to me that the test turret bullets could break the glass.
The next part that stumped me was HMW's fav - the wall panel that fell down and was to be a "portable surface". I tried for 30 minutes to shoot a portal into it and all attempts failed. That part needs work. As it turns out - the surface has to be set on the floor in a VERY EXACTING position before it will allow a portal to be shot into it. WHY ?? I really was fruatrated about that, but finally got it.

The 4-room fizzler puzzle was next. It was challenging but not super hard, so I got through it.

Finally, the coolest part, was saved for last. That puzzle was ingenious !!!!!!!!!!!! It took me the longest time to figure it out. So many fizzlers and so many options to try. After what seemed like an eternity I finally managed to pin the cube up high on the far wall, and it was a done deal once I stood on the button to draw it back over and dropped it into the center exit room.

At the exit part - it had a scary feeling and reminded me that this was a Halloween map. When I saw that giant shadow, I assumed I was in for some sort of Halloween "Boss Battle from Hell" - then the game ended. I am sure you would have liked to have had a Boss battle, but I can sympathize with you for not doing one. All in all this was a 10 but I can only give it a 5. So I did. Major kudos to all involved.
PCdoc
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:54 pm

PCdoc wrote:
Just 2 Votes ?? Come on people - give all these hard working folks a Vote !!
This was Terrific - incredible - the group of you have really created something that no single person could. And what a creation it was. I sincerely hope that this same group goes on to create more of these. We need MORE !!!!

Very glad you enjoyed it! Who knows; maybe we'll create a new map in the future :)

Quote:
Quote:
Admittedly I got stumped in the Turret test chamber. I simply did not realize that the wall holding the dummy was portable, and I simply did not realize that Turret bullets could break Glass

Would it have been better if the door would've shut behind you?

Quote:
The next part that stumped me was HMW's fav - the wall panel that fell down and was to be a "portable surface". I tried for 30 minutes to shoot a portal into it and all attempts failed. That part needs work. As it turns out - the surface has to be set on the floor in a VERY EXACTING position before it will allow a portal to be shot into it. WHY ?? I really was fruatrated about that, but finally got it.

We've heard this before; but whilst testing we never got this problem. We're still looking for a solution! If you have any suggestions; we'll love to hear them :D

Quote:
The 4-room fizzler puzzle was next. It was challenging but not super hard, so I got through it.

:thumbup:
Quote:
Finally, the coolest part, was saved for last. That puzzle was ingenious !!!!!!!!!!!! It took me the longest time to figure it out. So many fizzlers and so many options to try. After what seemed like an eternity I finally managed to pin the cube up high on the far wall, and it was a done deal once I stood on the button to draw it back over and dropped it into the center exit room.
:thumbup:

Quote:
At the exit part - it had a scary feeling and reminded me that this was a Halloween map. When I saw that giant shadow, I assumed I was in for some sort of Halloween "Boss Battle from Hell" - then the game ended. I am sure you would have liked to have had a Boss battle, but I can sympathize with you for not doing one. All in all this was a 10 but I can only give it a 5. So I did. Major kudos to all involved.

We would've loved to add a bossfight; but there were two issues:
1) We ran out of time. about 2/3rd of the map has been done in the last week and we simply wouldn't have had time to make a proper boss fight.
2) We ran into engine limits. In fact we had to cut out some details here and there in order to actually get the map to work. Even the most simple boss would've exceeded that limit again. :P

Once again, thanks for the kind words :thumbup:
Lpfreaky90

Postby zivi7 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 pm

PCdoc wrote:
The next part that stumped me was HMW's fav - the wall panel that fell down and was to be a "portable surface".

We will fix this in the new version. It turned out that an earlier fix for another problem caused this new bug.

If you are interested in the details: The func_noportal_volume behind the wall panel caused this new behaviour. Luckily, an invisible func_brush works just as good - without making the panel unportalable when not in the correct spot.
zivi7
Community Contributor

Postby KennKong » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Talk about trick AND treat! What a wonderful map. Congratulations to everyone who helped out on this masterpiece.
Expand for my full signature |
My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works
KennKong
Community Contributor

Postby PCdoc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:11 am

Fixing the portable surface will really help.
I was so frustrated at that point that I went back to the turret test viewing room because I had remembered that a large Painting fell off the wall for no apparent reason. I thought - "hmmm - well maybe there is some unknown use for this".

But transporting that painting was a real problem.
It took me forever because of its large, clunky size . . . but I finally got it to the other room.

So there I sat - like an idiot - with a huge, useless painting.

HAHAHA - sad but true !!!!!
PCdoc
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby zivi7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 am

PCdoc wrote:
HAHAHA - sad but true !!!!!

It should work much better now. Thanks for pointing out the issue! :thumbup:
Last edited by zivi7 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
zivi7
Community Contributor

Postby sicklebrick » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Oh wow! Where to start :D
Great mix of exploration, humour, creative use of mechanics and actual puzzles!
I was so happy when the elevator wasn't the end, and really enjoyed that last puzzle especially. Damn, that one took ages.
Oh yeah, and the guys in the windows... totally got me, I thought they were moving. The little touches like that and the candles, heaps of seekrit bits, groany sound effects etc. Such a good map, cheers
sicklebrick
Community Contributor

Postby quatrus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:07 am

What can I say - outstanding set of maps and puzzles. The last one was all the more frustrating because the solution was obvious, just took time and thought to figure out how to get the cube moved correctly. The watchers in 3 got to me after a while and I needed a break....I think one was laughing since it took me so long...(finally solved it without the instructor)
Well done - enjoyed the humor and novelty as well.... 5/5 thanks for collaborating and creating.
quatrus
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases