[SP] Cassata Chamber 1 v1.0

[SP] Cassata Chamber 1 v1.0

Postby CassataGames » Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 am

Not much here, this is my first map made for Portal 2, using the Alien Swarm SDK.
And any all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

v1.1 updates:
-Fixed a small overlay issue.
-Correct a spelling error
-Changed map name to cassatachamber_1.bsp to avoid confusion.

File Name: cassatachamber_1.bsp
File Size: 4.02 MiB
Click here to download Cassata Chamber 1
Last edited by CassataGames on Tue May 10, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CassataGames
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Cassata Chamber 1 v1.0

Postby CassataGames » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 am

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.
CassataGames
Community Contributor

Postby X53R » Tue May 10, 2011 12:32 am

Really enjoyed this map, hope to see more.
X53R
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 am

Been a long time Cassata! You should make a coop map. :D
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | List of all Rankings Contest 2012
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns. If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators.
npc_msleeper_boss
 Note: You can not use the Developer Console to spawn this entity.

Postby Thursaz » Tue May 10, 2011 3:00 am

This is kind of nitpicky of me, but- 'Congratulations' was written as 'Congradulations' at the end. xD

That aside, though, this was a really great map- really fun to solve. (Though, is the light bridge actually used for anything, or is it just... there?
Thursaz
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby CassataGames » Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 am

The light bridge is actually a part of the legitimate solution to getting to the exit once you remove the cube from the button in the corner, to place it on the button that opens the door. Play testers each found their own solutions to get to the door each and every time, each of which was creative and very difficult to resolve but yeah, the light bridge was the intended way.

As far as the spelling error, haha... wow, that's embarrassing. I'll fix that once I get off of work this evening. :thumbup:
I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.
CassataGames
Community Contributor

Postby BenB » Tue May 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Were there three boxes? There are 3 places to put boxes but only two that I found, there seems to be a dispenser which I never used. Instead I reused the box from the escape door to complete the glassed cased switch by the light bridge. Then portalled back to the main room and went through the door with only one tick. It looked a bit odd.

Really good map though, kept me thinking this afternoon, thanks!
BenB
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby quatrus » Tue May 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Great map, challenging puzzles. Thanks for creating.
quatrus
Community Contributor

Postby Zhan » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Here's a demo of the way I solved it, if you're curious. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18787920/portal ... han_04.dem

This was a fun map, well done.

I would suggest making the jump to get to the button by the exit (the first time) less finicky because I messed up a few times in trying to record that demo by accidentally putting the blue gel on the wall under the exit, which caused me to bounce off the wall instead of off the floor to get to the button.
Zhan

Postby jester8886 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:51 pm

I was able to complete it without the use of the diagonal panels (activated by the button higher up)...was that a decoy? Also, were the clean gel butto/nozzle and the near-by inactive nozzle also decoys? Effective! Great job!

One more thing, I'd recommend renaming your submissions other than testchamber. It's bound to get confusing quickly!
jester8886
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby CassataGames » Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 pm

@jester8886
Actually, the puzzle is intended be solved with the diagonal puzzles, but I'm sure now that you mentioned it, it is possible to solve the map by creating a line of conversion gel and using the funnel to get you high enough to bounce up onto both ledges. That's interesting because if that's how you did it, that will be the first time I've seen someone do it that way. Good job. :thumbup:
As for the cleaning tube. That's for if someone gets their box covered in conversion gel, it will make the cube much harder to work with and unnecessarily frustrating, so I added that there so they can clean their cube off.
The item dropper in the room parallel to it is actually a box dropper. It's only purpose is to respawn a cube if you either fizzle it or drop it in the hazard water. Hope this answers your questions. :wink:

Update:
I updated the map with the suggestions I got earlier. If you already downloaded the map, theres nothing new that effects game play so this update wont mean much to you.
CassataGames
Community Contributor

Postby Thursaz » Tue May 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Oh, heh. I actually don't really get that explanation, which is good, because I'm going to go try to find a solution with the light bridge now. I love puzzles that can be solved in multiple ways. xD *mostly stopped paying attention after "another legitimate solution"

Whiiich probably means I'm going to spend the next couple of hours trying to solve this in various ways, heh.

Quick note: I was looking for another way to solve it and managed to get myself trapped. There is a panel that sticks out when the final button is pressed. It's possible to place a portal on that panel and one inside the mini-chamber, use the repulsion gel to hop up, then hop from the panel again for the extra height, which allows you to get to the door- And, consequently, the button by it. Grabbing that box and using the repulsion gel to bounce up into the higher portal again and placing the box on the square button will result in the panel moving out, which disrupts the portal on the panel, leaving you trapped in the smaller chamber (since the exit closes).

Tell me if you need a better description. Of course, this problem is very easily avoided by simply placing the portal somewhere else, but I thought you should know.

...That quick note wasn't really much of a quick note. Oh well. xD
Thursaz
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby CassataGames » Tue May 10, 2011 7:41 pm

I actually found out about that trap but forgot about it before I released it. Doesn't seem like a huge deal at the moment though, I'm moving on to my next puzzle chamber, I might get back to this one and find a solution.
CassataGames
Community Contributor

Postby blizer » Tue May 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks! one of the best maps I ever played in portal2. I hope that you can make more maps.

Well that's how I solved the map:
used the blue wave to get the blue gel below exit, then I used the blue wave thing on the floor till I got enough air then I opened a portal in the horizontal panels and got enough air to reach the button near the exit. The last room I indeed used the bridge opened a portal in the panel that comes out when you activate the button and then I painted the stairs with blue gel where the level starts because if you jump in them you start to get really high then I was able to get to the bridge and normal jump to the exit.
blizer

Postby Adair » Wed May 11, 2011 4:48 am

Excellent map. It was fun and just challenging enough to take a bit of time, but not so long that it frustrated me. I believe I used mostly intended solutions on my first run through.

I played it a second time to look for alternate routes:
|
In that one run I beat it without ever deactivating the dual vertical light bridges, without activating the angled surface, and without using the light bridge from the hidden room. Before deactivating it I used the light tunnel to paint most of the floor under the exit ledge. Then to reach the exit without the tunnel I put a portal on the vertical surface that moved out with that third button pressed and was able to just jump a few times to the ledge.
Adair
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases