Chamber Sign Maker

Chamber Sign Maker

Postby Omnicoder » Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Microsoft .NET Framework 2 required
It was used to create the signs for Retrospective so you can play that if you want an example of them in-game.

File Name: signmake.rar
File Size: 8.81 MiB
Click here to download Chamber Sign Maker
Omnicoder
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Chamber Sign Maker

Postby Supervillain » Sun May 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Awesome little app!

Thanks a lot.
Supervillain
Defective Turret

Postby ZeronFX » Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Since the signs are vscript-based, how do the signs we make in this get into the signs in-game?

I don't have alot of custom texture experience.
ZeronFX
Defective Turret

Postby kwp21 pitts » Tue May 24, 2011 12:03 am

Thaks this is really useful! This makes life that much easier.
First guy tells the second guy, "My head hurts!" The second guy replied, "Stop thinking so much!" Then the first guy says, "I think that what caused my problem in the first place!" The second guy says, "Then stop banging you head against the wall!"

ImageImageVDC User Page
kwp21 pitts
Community Contributor

Postby Soundlogic » Tue May 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Could a way to add new logos to it be added?
Soundlogic
Mantisman

Postby tactical fluke » Sun May 29, 2011 1:30 am

this is a great app, but it would be awesome if it handled the whole material file thing itself. could you do that?
you know who i am?! i'm the man who's gonna burn your map down, with the lemons, im gonna get my coders to create a combustible lemons, that burns your map down!
tactical fluke
Defective Turret

Postby titom44dj » Sun May 29, 2011 4:00 pm

very good job and easy to use, thx
titom44dj
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Thecakeisalie1 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:37 pm

hey guys i made an own chamber sign but i dont know how to add the sign or vmf file to sdk
can anybody help me pls???
Thecakeisalie1

Postby CosmicD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:12 pm

It's really cool. I've got a request. Could you include some more signs like, the pneumatic diversity vent sign and well maybe other ppl have some requests ?
CosmicD
Community Contributor

Postby Thecakeisalie1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

hey cosmicD how did you get the file into sdk?
Thecakeisalie1

Postby ForgottenKane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm

So far it's working pretty nice, thanks! My antivirus is thinking this is a virus, must be because it's using .NET framework.
ForgottenKane
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby CosmicD » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 am

Thecakeisalie1 wrote:
hey cosmicD how did you get the file into sdk?

lets say your going to put it into the materials/yourname folder , then you need to make a vtf , move it into that folder and also copy/paste the vmt information (scripted text you see in the test sign maker) and name it the same as your texture but then with the .vmt extention.

So let's say that you would call your file mytestsign.vtf and put it in the mentioned folder.. then you also need to have a mytestsign.vmt which goes into that.

SO you get it ? Your texture file is called mytestsign.vtf, but a file with the same name but with extention .vmt needs to be placed in the same dir, and the contents of that file needs to be as followed:

Code: Select all
"LightmappedGeneric"
{
   "$basetexture" "yourname/mytestsign"
   "$surfaceprop" "glass"
   "$selfillum" 1 //set to 1 if alpha mask is checked
   "%keywords" "sign"
}

VERY important is that you point the basetexture location to the texture file. (the file with extention .vtf) but note that the materials folder isn't mentioned in the vmt file as it is considered the base dir for your materials by the engine.

Also Note that there's NO extention (.vtf) mentioned, this is intentional.

Also if you make it a glass texture (in the test chamber sign maker), you need to set the selfilum bit to 1, when it's not: it needs to be 0.

Hope this helps
CosmicD
Community Contributor

Postby Jimbomcb » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Fantastic program!
Jimbomcb

Postby Mitsunyan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:16 pm

It is a very nice programme, thank you very much.
I managed to convert the texture into the SDK, but, at this point, I am clueless as to what I should do next.
I did use the instance once, but I find VPKs even more confusing, so the idea was then abandoned.
So, ladies and gentlemen, I'm asking for your help.
Please, do explain me the process of creation, or give a link, if possible (tried using the forum search and Google, but with no success, unfortunately). I do understand that it may be in fact the very basics of mapping, but I just don't know them, then. I do use Valve Developer Community all the time, but it's just impossible to keep an eye on everything.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

tl;dr version: Please give me a quick tutorial/link on creating the chamber sign using a texture. Thanks!
Mitsunyan

Postby ChickenMobile » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Mitsunyan wrote:
It is a very nice programme, thank you very much.
I managed to convert the texture into the SDK, but, at this point, I am clueless as to what I should do next.
Please give me a quick tutorial/link on creating the chamber sign using a texture. Thanks!
Look here: mapping-help/custom-chamber-signs-without-scripts-t3663.html. They have provided very good information about this. Please note that this is a texture not something you put in an instance. So all you need to do is create a block the same size as the texture and apply the texture to it.

If you want to use the test sign instance and use scripting in order to make your test chamber sign appear; then look at this page on the Valve Wiki. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Test_Sign

In order to make the custom file available when others play your map, make sure to use Pakrat to insert the file into the .bsp or use Valve's console application bspzip.exe located in your Portal 2/bin folder. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bspzip
ChickenMobile
Senior Stalemate Associate

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases