[SP] Map_Name_Here_123

[SP] Map_Name_Here_123

Postby SiaCreations » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm

What is Map_Name_Here_123? This map.

A clean style map of average (?) difficulty with decent aesthetic finish.

1.1: New, exciting name!
1.2: More freedom in blue gel area, orange gel button is now floor button, more 'shielding' on top of the turret 'fish tank'.
1.3: Reduced glass opacity.
1.4: Better support for alternative flinging in first chamber.

File Name: Map_Name_Here_123.rar
File Size: 3.23 MiB
Click here to download Map_Name_Here_123
Last edited by SiaCreations on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
SiaCreations
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Suspended

Postby Djinndrache » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:05 am

Could you consider renaming your map? A map with the name suspended and the file sp_suspended.bsp does already exist: Suspended

Having to overwrite it to play a totally different map kinda sucks
Djinndrache
Senior Stalemate Associate

Re: [SP] Map_Name_Here_123

Postby Djinndrache » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:38 am

SiaCreations wrote:
1.1: New, exciting name!

It's awesome, loving it ;)
Djinndrache

Postby SiaCreations » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks!

Didn't expect to run into naming problems; that's one more thing to check before releasing.
SiaCreations

Postby Djinndrache » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I played (and recorded) this map now and must say that the map is not bad, but too buggy. Gonna have it rendered and uploaded by Tuesday, then I'll show you what I mean.

Average difficulty might be true for intended ways, but I guess I pretty much broke the game (apart from one part where a trigger wouldn't work and I had to noclip) and made it look lots harder than it probably is. I'll post back on Tuesday with the video.
Djinndrache

Postby Portal2Two » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:22 pm

5/Excellent :thumbup:

I don't see any bugs, or any serious bugs. The blue gel flow is a little misaligned in the 1st place, but frankly who cares? Of course I'd find something to criticize about the gameplay but I won't since any DIY map is always a little "athletic". This particular map is playable, has puzzles and is looking nice, I can't reckon golden stairs anywhere else before. Good one.

[SP] Map_Name_Here_123 (Suspended) Portal 2 Custom Map

Portal2Two
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby SiaCreations » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the video! Your solution is slightly different than my intended one, but 'covered' ;) For example you used the funnel to travel across the room (maybe Djinn used it to fly to the exit right away, and that isn't 'covered'), which I considered blocking with a grate, and the fling would then be a 'double fling'. Also in the second chamber the newly opened rotating panels can be used for quicker navigation (especially outside the blue gel area). Also do name the gameplay problems, so I can eliminate them! :) I'm guessing running back and forth in the first area isn't fun and the blue gel area feels sort of 'sealed off'...

Is that a game pad?
SiaCreations

Postby Portal2Two » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 pm

SiaCreations wrote:
Thanks for the video! Your solution is slightly different than my intended one, but 'covered' ;) For example you used the funnel to travel across the room (maybe Djinn used it to fly to the exit right away, and that isn't 'covered'), which I considered blocking with a grate, and the fling would then be a 'double fling'. Also in the second chamber the newly opened rotating panels can be used for quicker navigation (especially outside the blue gel area). Also do name the gameplay problems, so I can eliminate them! :) I'm guessing running back and forth in the first area isn't fun and the blue gel area feels sort of 'sealed off'...

Is that a game pad?

Thanks for the video! Your solution is slightly different than my intended one, but 'covered'

Ya, that's what I expected to here, It's a game, and naturally logic games like chess and puzzles allow variation of solutions, and why portal shouldn't? Of course given that the player is not skipping the entire gameplay.

Is that a gamepad?

Almost, it's my Alienware note.

do name the gameplay problems, so I can eliminate them! :) I'm guessing running back and forth in the first area isn't fun

Running back and forth was the easiest ever, not a problem. As you're running you can think a little and show it in the video step by step as I did.

The gameplay is no problem, but generally I don't like action in logic games, and there's a little bit of such "action" in this map.

Shorter, I didn't like much the blue gel because it was tedious enough spraying it and then jumping on it to fire a portal on top to get to the final room. See, as soon as I figured out the solution I started shooting my walkthrough, so I probably needed more runs to get used to.

The double fling you're talking - yes, I did read all the signs on the walls and I knew exactly what I was supposed to do. But I tried it the "right" way from the ceiling and it wasn't easy.

Using funnel to travel across the room, ok, how are you supposed to travel across the room other than the funnel? If you jump from the stairs onto the bridge you won't make it, and double fling to travel across the room would be quite hard here. I though the funnel was precisely how you do it.

Basically I like your map the way it is now, I wouldn't change it unless you really want.
Portal2Two

Postby SiaCreations » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:36 pm

About funneling across the room... I always did it like there was a grate between the funnel 'compartment' and diagonal surface, so I just ran on top of the panel 'stairs' and jumped into the funnel, coming out of a portal on the last white surface. Also, without the grate a workaround for the fling part has become available, and while not entirely intended, it can be used as an alternative.

Anyway I guess it's not that bad, I'll just eliminate bugs then (when reports start coming), thanks!
SiaCreations

Postby xdiesp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:06 am

For a medium sized map, I found this quite lenghty and outside the box: looks were particularly enticing, nocturne with lots of shades and neons which didn't even look like they were made in vanilla Clean style (the outer area was less). As for puzzles, perfect (if some ever existed) in the first chamber and little bumpy (nailing the correct jumps at the gel can take forever) but still high quality in the remaining two. Good maps make you want to play them, not just because they're pretty but because the manufacture of the problem solving brings you along.

Personally I would lower the number of those turrets, to allow one to scout on top and see what's there - it's not so immediate to see the panel + cage structure in front of the exit. Note that the laser is not required, you can just portal from the gel button to the highest point, the quickly connect the gel target to the gel button: now you can speed from the gel button to the top. ...maybe that would leave things open to bring the lasercube from the first room, and flambè some turrets.
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
xdiesp
Community Contributor

Postby SiaCreations » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:38 pm

With newer version now, hopefully some of the problems are fixed... and probably some new have been created ;)

Thanks for the feedback and kind words! I really enjoyed making this map visually appealing... even more than creating puzzles. Hope I can keep both elements good enough in the future and promote creative solutions. More freedom, less band-aid blocking!

(Erm... just to justify blocking your speed gel solution - it's actually what it should have been in the first place, just the basic gel dropper instance didn't work well with quick turn on/off situations... now I have my own instance.)
SiaCreations

Postby Portal2Two » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 am

I suggest aligning the two double-fling panels vertically on same level. Jumping isn't easy at all. I'm talking about the first chamber. Also mind that instead of double fling it is much easier to use the funnel to bridge you to the button (just get on the lower panel, open a portal with the funnel stream and jump into the stream and next right to the button). However, if you do align the panels then no need to worry about possible shortcuts since double fling will be easier.

xdiesp wrote:
Personally I would lower the number of those turrets, to allow one to scout on top and see what's there - it's not so immediate to see the panel + cage structure in front of the exit.

To have it better come into view you could also increase transparency of the glass walls.

The current version - this time no travelling with the funnel across the room:

Map_name_here_123

Portal2Two

Postby SiaCreations » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Just a really minor update, just glass appearance (and it's not really opacity that causes problems, it's lighting; projectedtexture lights no longer affects glass and glass brush opacity is now at 40%).

Like I said, it's not my intention to block unintended solutions unless they break the map or generate major short cuts, so the button part remains untouched ;) Note: original idea for the flings is that you lift yourself in the air with the funnel, shoot a portal on the diagonal surface resulting in the first fling and then shoot portals on the ceiling and the elevated panel (both in mid-air) to make the second fling. This could be enforced with a grate and smaller diagonal surface, but that would be a very action-ish solution. Right now I can think of 4 or 5 solutions for the button part and it feels good to have them all :D

So again, thanks for testing and stay creative!
SiaCreations

Postby Portal2Two » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:59 pm

SiaCreations wrote:
... lift yourself in the air with the funnel, shoot a portal on the diagonal surface resulting in the first fling and then shoot portals on the ceiling and the elevated panel (both in mid-air) to make the second fling.

You did try it yourself, right? Because this is extremely hard! Whilst in mid-air, you'll have to shoot 2 portals one on the ceiling and another one on the elevated panel GIVEN THAT next you'll also have to steer yourself right to the portal on the elevated panel, and then shoot a portal on the diagonal surface and then again steer yourself right to the portal on the elevated panel - this is impossibly hard!

Having players figure out things - good. Having them suffer double-fling - bad. For example, the puzzle with the laser is excellent, the fling the intended your way is no good indeed. If you want your map played by a vast majority of users, played and enjoyed, abstain from whatever "athletic" too hard workarounds - otherwise not too many people will play it.
Portal2Two

Postby SiaCreations » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 am

I see your point and now, in 1.4, both flinging options are fully supported!

As for the original double fling, I wouldn't let anything impossible or with a really low chance of completion pass. Placement helpers, an invisible catapult and a temporary clip brush are in place to assure the right trajectory.

And now I understand the term 'athletic' in puzzle description :)
SiaCreations

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases