[Coop] Mp_coop_Versus

[Coop] Versus

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Its a coop map that, over seven chambers (but you only have to think in like four) includes, amongst other things: Deadly Lasers, Less Deadly Lasers, Faith Plates, Deadly Faith Plates, Enancipation Grills, Deadly Emancipation Grills, Maximum Fun Chambers, Excursion Funnels, Reverse Polarity Excursion Funnels, Deadly Excursion Funnels, and all the gel you could ever need! (unfortunately not deadly.) But do not let that discourage you. You only HAVE to die twice!

Wait, where are you going? Its a lot better than it sounds, honest!

PS: bug reports welcome, at Pete1001@seznam.cz

File Name: mp_coop_versus_v11.rar
File Size: 21.61 MiB
Click here to download [Coop] Versus
Last edited by Pete on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pete
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Mp_coop_Versus (COOP)

Postby YM_Industries » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 pm

A good entry, but is it really Versus? I could only solve the puzzles by cooperating!
Turrets, not tourettes. Only people with tourettes say that.

My Work:
FLAMING LEMONS
FUNRUN - COMING SOON
YM_Industries
Community Contributor

Postby YM_Industries » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 pm

GLITCH: In the chutes at the beginning, there is an invisible ledge you can stand on about half way down.
[s]REQUEST: Seeing as there is so much deadly stuff in your level, more spawn points would be appreciated.[/s] NVM, all the spawn points look the same, so I thought there was only one.
Turrets, not tourettes. Only people with tourettes say that.

My Work:
FLAMING LEMONS
FUNRUN - COMING SOON
YM_Industries
Community Contributor

Postby Djinndrache » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Awesome map! Absolutely one of the best coop maps so far. (Recorded our firstrun, gonna repost when uploaded, can take some days though)
Djinndrache
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:12 am

Djinndrache wrote:
Awesome map! Absolutely one of the best coop maps so far. (Recorded our firstrun, gonna repost when uploaded, can take some days though)

Thanks in advance.

YM_Industries wrote:
GLITCH: In the chutes at the beginning, there is an invisible ledge you can stand on about half way down.

While I did notice that on the very last test run, I didnt want to recompile the map, cubemaps and everything because of a problem that can be solved by stepping a little to the left. Hope no one minds.
Pete
Community Contributor

Re: [Coop] Mp_coop_Versus

Postby coopcrowd » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:05 am

Awesome map! Not sure how this is Versus really, but overall it was thoroughly enjoyable, very creative and very challenging. You managed to keep the game play fresh by making each area comprise of differently mechanics and our friend Mr Redirection Cube (Cubey) was the icing on the cake :P

Was there really an easter egg? (You keep mentioning it in the read me file :P) We couldn't find it so any tips on where it is would be great!
(You probably don't want to watch this if you haven't completed this map yet)

coopcrowd
Defective Turret

Postby Pete » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:18 am

coopcrowd wrote:
...Not sure how this is Versus really...

This is what happens when you name your map while you only have one chamber finished... that name is gonna be the death of me.

coopcrowd wrote:
Was there really an easter egg? (You keep mentioning it in the read me file :P) We couldn't find it so any tips on where it is would be great!

No one ever believes me when I tell them that there are no easter eggs in the map. Not one, anywhere. Honest. I mean, why would I say there are no easter eggs if there were easter eggs? :thumbup:

By the way, thanks for making the videos - nothing strokes my ego quite as well as watching someone have fun with something I made, AND it makes for a good learning experience! (seriously how could I not think of players just jumping over to the platform how stupid do you have to be not to think of that)
Pete
Community Contributor

Postby xdiesp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:43 pm

I won't hide it, we found these puzzles nonsensical and tedious. We tried hard to make a full play to review it properly, but we just lost interest at the 3rd chamber - after suffering the bugged 2nd one with no stairs showing in the outer area.

I enjoyed the music score, and that's it: trying anything until the unexpected happens is not a puzzle. It's desperation.
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
xdiesp
Community Contributor

Postby Pete » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 am

Invisible stairs? Im clueless how that could happen.
Ah, well. Its a shame, the first two puzzles are probably the worst in the map. *shrug*

EDIT: Ah goddammit. Turns out that I forgot to reset the walkways to be always drawn after I "borrowed" them from one of the example maps - so they wont draw on GPU levels under medium. Well, expletive.
Pete
Community Contributor

Postby xdiesp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 am

You could always rerelease the first room as an actual deathmatch. Just get a screen showing both players' deaths, and let them laser each other to death.
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
xdiesp
Community Contributor

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:42 am

I went into this expecting garbage and I got a lot more than I thought I would get. This map has moxie, I'll give you that. There is not enough "versus" for a map with versus in the name.

I really like your ideas, like you have some really interesting puzzle concepts. I just wish you would have spent your time making the puzzles better and detailing your map more, instead of spending time making insane gameplay mechanics like the reflectocube of destruction +1.

You need to learn to light areas better, use more than single light instance, and spend more time detailing certain areas (like those elevators in puzzle 4 I think).
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | List of all Rankings Contest 2012
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns. If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators.
npc_msleeper_boss
 Note: You can not use the Developer Console to spawn this entity.

Postby Hober » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 am

msleeper wrote:
instead of spending time making insane gameplay mechanics like the reflectocube of destruction +1.

You mean the Reflectocube of Slaying All Things?
"Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober

Postby Sulfaras » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm

you get terribly stucked in room 4. we finished the room then my mate placed one portal in the new room we both were in room 4 and then the placed portal was away. so cube was top and so no chance to get again there. disgusting
Sulfaras
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Sulfaras wrote:
you get terribly stucked in room 4. we finished the room then my mate placed one portal in the new room we both were in room 4 and then the placed portal was away. so cube was top and so no chance to get again there. disgusting

Not entirely sure I understand the problem. Did you jump back down from the exit after placing the cube? Thats the only way I can think of that could get you stuck... if the problem was in the fizzler fizzling your portals, there is a portalable ceiling right before it, which I will admit should be a lot more obvious.

EDIT: Okay, fixed the few bugs I know of, and hopefully the possibility of getting stuck in chamber 4. Nothing major changed.
Pete
Community Contributor

Postby Djinndrache » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 am

I'm playing custom maps and record my first time of playing them. So the run is not perfect and may not use only intended ways, but maybe it can let you see how other people may understand the map or you could just enjoy someone playing this map for entertainment.
Anyways, here is the recording:

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBbgJe_yh3M)

Also note the video description for more feedback and my signature for additional project information.
Djinndrache

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases