[WIP] My Beta Level

[WIP] My Beta Level

Postby Jexim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:34 am

Original name huh? So I realized I posted this wrong a while back and now I'm doing it correctly. I'm pretty happy with the playability of my level, so I figured I'd see if I could get some play testers to give me some thoughts and feed back. I'd love some first play vids and such. The level needs a lot of work as far as textures and lighting goes, and I'm currently working on that, but I wanna know if the puzzles need work or not, so I'm counting on all of you to gimme some feedback!

File Name: mylevelbeta.rar
File Size: 1.4 MiB
Click here to download My Beta Level
Jexim
Defective Turret

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [WIP] My Beta Level

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 am

All was nice until I got to the final part:
* The fling landed me on the elevator; leaving me without the hard light bridge
* Turrets. You should really use info_placement_helpers there.
* The surface for getting to the exit was really really dark; almost impossible to spot.

Some other things:
* There are some clipping issues near the lift in the ***-room
* I had the idea that I was looking at nodraw in the ***-room

Other then these issues; great job :)
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby Jexim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:31 am

both the fling and the impossibly dark panel for the final solution, have been fixed in my as of yet unfinished "polished" version of the level. There ARE placement helpers in the turret section, I'm having difficulty getting them to be effective enough there though, that whole section might get modified heavily before final release.

Thanks for the heads up on those nodraws, I'll have to take care of them.

Thanks for the input!
Because I can
Jexim
Defective Turret

Postby zivi7 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 am

A nice little map for starting!

LPfreaky already mentioned the glitching last elevator. I had less trouble with the dark tile for the exit fling, I think sooner or later the player will find it following the yellow exit line.

However, that last fling was impossible for me. Either I hit my head in the first portal, making me fall into the water when exiting the second one. Or I flung too far and couldn't land on the path to the exit.
zivi7
Community Contributor

Postby benvent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:33 pm

I enjoyed the map. The only issue I had is that the flings didn't seem consistent. The first time trying to go to the one dot and two dot rooms the faithplate flings left me short. Second try -perfect landing. I didn't have an isssue with the elevator like the others did because i didn't use portals to get to the three dot room. I just used the faithplate and bounced up to the three dot area. Anyway, Nice job!
"I am not a Marshmallow"
benvent
Mantisman

Postby Tremer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Everything is visible in the video.

Comments:

It wasn't obvious to me the block only activated the door to the button. I thought the block and the button were both required to open the door.

It's easy to get stuck on the lifts.
Tremer
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Jexim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:55 pm

zivi7 wrote:
However, that last fling was impossible for me. Either I hit my head in the first portal, making me fall into the water when exiting the second one. Or I flung too far and couldn't land on the path to the exit.

I have a feeling you were missing a piece, you shouldn't be going THROUGH a portal when you make that final jump ;).

benvent wrote:
The only issue I had is that the flings didn't seem consistent. The first time trying to go to the one dot and two dot rooms the faithplate flings left me short. Second try -perfect landing.

That was caused by the stupid way that I made those angled platforms(carving is not the answer) and has since then been fixed in the "polished" version.

Tremer wrote:
It wasn't obvious to me the block only activated the door to the button. I thought the block and the button were both required to open the door.

Yea, I made it in order kind of "hide" the second button, but the effect does kind of make like it look like both are used to activate that long set of lights. I was relying on the fact that they don't turn back to blue to help key in the fact that the box can be taken off.
Because I can
Jexim
Defective Turret

Postby Tyronis3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I can bunnyhop the turret room and survive, allowing me to complete the map without doing the other 2 rooms.
Tyronis3
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Tremer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Tyronis3 wrote:
I can bunnyhop the turret room and survive, allowing me to complete the map without doing the other 2 rooms.

I'd be interested in seeing this if you could post a video.
Tremer
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Jexim » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 pm

as would I, even doing the turret room with running(which I've done before, but I'm having trouble finding a way to fix) I'd be interested to see how you'd make it to the exit path without the hardlight bridge
Because I can
Jexim
Defective Turret

Postby Szieve » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:54 am

turret room.. needs serious work. Got through the fist part after about 9 kills... 2nd part, 10 kills.. I stopped. having some walls block the full path of the lightbridge is unacceptable. Cranking down the power of the turrets to less than a 3 shot kill might help. or fixing the walls.. as it stands, I'm not even attempting to finish this map.

Great design, but as stated there is a serious problem in room 3 .. not really a puzzle, just a pain in the butt to survive.
Szieve
Mantisman

Postby PCdoc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:52 am

A lot of fun - I enjoyed this map thoroughly and had difficulty, but finally escaped.
The turrets were tough and my only regret was I could not kill any.

Kudos
PCdoc
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby quatrus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:45 am

Nice map. One issue to add, maybe just my rough flings, but the push button up in the first area seemed a bit hard to activate took me several tries to hit it perfectly.
quatrus
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Return to Community Releases