[SP] Somewhere Underground 3

[SP] Somewhere Underground 3

Postby eladiozro » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 pm

You continue your journey in the unknown places of the salt mines.

All maps here: Somewhere Underground Complete

• The game can get very laggy some times, sorry, I couldn't make it run better.
• This map have sound files that are packed in a .vpk file
• This map have some funny bugs

- To download newer version fix 1.2 select it above the download button.
- To update make sure you replace the existing .bsp files.

Update Changes:
• Can't make a jump to skip half of the puzzle.
• The sounds have been removed because they didn't worked
and it doesn't automatically reload the audio cache.
• The tube that was suspended in the air now it's not.
• Size before 18.15 mb - Size now 12.10 mb (compressed).

Download
Somewhere Underground
[SP] Somewhere Underground 2

Bug issues
- look thread -

- If you want to send me a record of you playing my map -
- do the following -

When you start playing, type in the console:
"record the_name_of_your_recording"

Your record will appear as a .dem file
This file is going to appear here:
\Steam\steamapps\common\portal2\portal2

NOTICE:
Every time the player dies, or the game have to load a new map, the recording ends.
So maybe you will need to record various times.

To see the video type in the console:
"playdemo the_name_of_your_recording"

NOTICE:
If you don't have the same version of the
map that was played in the record, it will probably not work.

You can send me the .dem file to my mail:
eladiozro@gmail.com

File Name: somewhere underground 3 fix 1.zip
File Size: 18.15 MiB
Click here to download [SP] Somewhere Underground 3
Last edited by eladiozro on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 am, edited 10 times in total.
eladiozro
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Somewhere Underground 3

Postby eladiozro » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Known Bugs
Bug1
-You can do some kind of trick than can send you flying for short time.
To do this: you must place a portal for the funnel... then get in the funnel you make by
placing a portal somewhere... wait until you are alongside the portal... then place the portal that is in the funnel somewhere else... you can fly for a few seconds!

Bug2
- The wall that fall can go crazy sometimes when you put portals near them.
Bug3 -Fixed-
The cubes from the cube droppers can get stuck
Last edited by eladiozro on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
eladiozro
Community Contributor

Postby quatrus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:31 pm

No bugs found, all seemed to work well. I liked the environment you created, the puzzle was not particularly challenging but still nice to walk around.
thanks for creating - because of the ending I presume there is more coming.
quatrus
Community Contributor

Postby OnePortalizedGal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Hey I finally got to take that train ride! I did enjoy this puzzle and the environment. It was not laggy for me at all and the elements worked fine. I especially liked the end with the elevators. Thanks for making. Let's see underground 4! LOL.
OnePortalizedGal
Mantisman

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm

WARNING: DON'T PLAY THIS MAP IN A MOD. IT WILL BREAK IT SOMEHOW!
Something with the rebuilding of the soundcache.

Anyways: on topic!

It was very good, I love how you use common things like elevators in a new way. That's very interesting. Loved the puzzles, not too hard but still different from anything I've seen so far. For some reason I don't get fully submerged in your maps though. I think the indicator lights are a bit too big and the train just doesn't look 100% awesome too. If you can find someone to help you with these kinds of things I think your maps could become one of the best map that are around here. They really have a different feeling then other maps. It kinda reminds me of the intro of Half-life 1.

I'm really looking forward to playing your next maps!

One problem I encountered was a cube that got stuck in the second cube dropper, that broke the puzzle for me, you might want to check that one. and/or replace it by the default instance by valve ;)

4/5; Great job!

~Lp
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby eladiozro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:29 am

lpfreaky90 wrote:
One problem I encountered was a cube that got stuck in the second cube dropper

Yeah, I know that bug... It happened to me one time but I thought it wouldn't happen again.
To fix it... THE DROPPER WILL BE ALWAYS OPEN... sorry I just hate that bug a lot.

Thanks everybody for the support! it makes me want to make SU4 more!
eladiozro
Community Contributor

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:15 am

eladiozro wrote:
lpfreaky90 wrote:
One problem I encountered was a cube that got stuck in the second cube dropper

Yeah, I know that bug... It happened to me one time but I thought it wouldn't happen again.
To fix it... THE DROPPER WILL BE ALWAYS OPEN... sorry I just hate that bug a lot.

Thanks everybody for the support! it makes me want to make SU4 more!

Nothing wrong with an open cube dropper if it fixes an possible bug. :thumbup:
Lpfreaky90

Postby JCrashB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:13 am

Very nice map, as its predecessors. Liked the new environment style, has a bit of the spirit of HL 2. Found no bugs and the puzzles were entertaining. Very nicely done, 5/5!
JCrashB
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby cerrita » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Great map, lots of fun, and the textures are great. The only problem I seemed to have was sound. I got a lot of these:

[Sound] S_StartSoundO: Failed to load sound 'sound\eladio_mike\(sound name).wav'. File is missing from disk/repository.

It mentioned quite a few different sounds, like 'cavejohnson', 'well done', and 'useatthebestyouknow'. I copied the eladio.vpk file as instructed in the readme.
cerrita
Defective Turret

Postby eladiozro » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 am

cerrita wrote:
Great map, lots of fun, and the textures are great. The only problem I seemed to have was sound. I got a lot of these:

[Sound] S_StartSoundO: Failed to load sound 'sound\eladio_mike\(sound name).wav'. File is missing from disk/repository.

It mentioned quite a few different sounds, like 'cavejohnson', 'well done', and 'useatthebestyouknow'. I copied the eladio.vpk file as instructed in the readme.

Not sure why it would happen, maybe it was in a wrong folder?
eladiozro
Community Contributor

Postby cerrita » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I checked again, and it's in the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2 folder, just like the readme says. Although, this isn't the first custom map that I've had sound trouble with.
cerrita
Defective Turret

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 pm

cerrita wrote:
I checked again, and it's in the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2 folder, just like the readme says. Although, this isn't the first custom map that I've had sound trouble with.

When you start the map open up the console and type in "snd_rebuildaudiocache". This problems is caused because portal 2 hasn't cached the sound yet. With snd_rebuildaudiocache the music is put into the cache and it can be used:)

Tip for mappers: You can also use a point_client_command and a logic_auto to do this automatically on map spawn.
Lpfreaky90

Postby Djinndrache » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am

Not bad, you clearly get better with each part you release of this campaign.

Here is my blindrun:

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlR5iifnubc)
Djinndrache

Postby cerrita » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18 am

lpfreaky90 wrote:
cerrita wrote:

When you start the map open up the console and type in "snd_rebuildaudiocache". This problems is caused because portal 2 hasn't cached the sound yet. With snd_rebuildaudiocache the music is put into the cache and it can be used:)

Tip for mappers: You can also use a point_client_command and a logic_auto to do this automatically on map spawn.

I tried that, and got the same messages. Is there anything I need to do with the file after I unzip it? Does it need conversion or something from it's .vpk format? Although, I just watched Djinndrache's blindrun, and it would seem that I'm not accuately missing any sound files. And if that's the case, why the error message? With the file names and the notes in the readme, I was expecting some kind of dialoge.

On a side note, the map ends for me in a frustrating way. I get in the working elevator and start ascending, but then the screen fades to black and just hangs there. I can't even get to the main menu- pressing tilde only brings up the developers console, and I have to stop the game through Task Manager.
cerrita
Defective Turret

Postby KennKong » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:03 am

First, the good news. The environment is fantastic, a welcome relief from lifeless clean maps. I like the many varied elements, even if some don't fit (e.g. modern observation rooms). The puzzle was fairly easy, but not completely connect-the-dots.

Constructive criticism (I played "fix 1" version):
  1. I see you took lpfreaky90's advice to put snd_rebuildaudiocache in a logic_auto. I think that's a bad idea for something that only needs to be done once, when the map is first installed. I have a LOT (350+) of maps, and it takes over two minutes to rebuild the cache. And you forced it to happen TWICE in masu06. Just tell folks to run it from the console after they install the map.
  2. All that cache rebuilding, and your custom sounds still won't work. I tried the following without success:
    1. I followed your directions (BTW, I think installing files in the root directory of the game is also a bad idea) and installed your files in my portal2 tree (even though I like to keep my original game directory pristine)
    2. I installed them the same way in my Custom SP mod. Despite what lpfreaky90 said, it played exactly the same there
    3. I recreated eladiozro_01.vpk with eladio_mike as a subdirectory of sound
    4. I extracted the eladio_mike folder to the portal2/sound directory
    5. Same as c., except I added the .bsps to the maps folder and installed it in the addons folder of my mod. This is how I would have packaged it (if I had a tenth of your ability to create a map).
    It ran the same way, no matter what.
I'm not going to rate this map until you've had a chance to get the sound straightened out.
Expand for my full signature |
My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works
KennKong
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases