[SP] Sphere of Roundness 1.0

[SP] Sphere of Roundness 1.0

Postby Lobster » Sat May 07, 2011 11:59 am

Just a small singleplayer sphere that needs testing, portal puzzles are a curious thing, its really easy to overlook an obvious gamebreaking solution that the next player spots immediately, so i figure its best to practice a bit on small releases, until I get more comfortable with it.

Screenshot: http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7444 ... round1.jpg

I have to say mapping for Portal 2 is really fun, so let me know what you think!

File Name: sp_sphere_of_roundness.zip
File Size: 2.29 MiB
Sphere of Roundness
Last edited by Lobster on Sat May 07, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Sphere of Roundness 1.0

Postby ciaspy123 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Nice map. And I agree, portal 2 mapping is very fun, and so far, much less complicated than portal 1 mapping was.
ciaspy123
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Sulfaras » Sat May 07, 2011 12:55 pm

good map. but you can cheat the first cube by jumping on the button and shoot a portal over the emancipation grill.
Sulfaras
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Lobster » Sat May 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Nice find! I think I will leave it in though, seems like a perfectly acceptable way to get the cube to the first laser, nothing wrong with out of the box thinking! :)
Lobster
Community Contributor

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Sat May 07, 2011 2:09 pm

First custom 1940's Aperture map?
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | List of all Rankings Contest 2012
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns. If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators.
npc_msleeper_boss
 Note: You can not use the Developer Console to spawn this entity.

Postby resul4ee » Sat May 07, 2011 2:29 pm

wow :shock:

It`s the first real 1940`s map and it`s great too
I like it and hope to see more 5/5

great job :thumbup:
As finishing touch God created the Dutch
resul4ee
Defective Turret

Postby Phitt » Sat May 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Great map. Looks really good, puzzles are nice as well. Maybe a bit too easy. Thank you!
Phitt
Defective Turret

Postby hitmanjaret » Sat May 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Sweet map, I really liked this one. Best single player custom map so far in my opinion. :thumbup:
hitmanjaret

Postby spectrenad » Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 pm

you ROCK!!! keep doing more!! :)
i made an account just to tell you that and to rate your map :D
spectrenad
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby yongedevil » Sun May 08, 2011 2:28 am

Well this is the first Portal 2 custom map I've downloaded and I rather liked it.

Visually the map is spares but that's kind of to my tastes, I'm here for puzzles not the view.

As for the puzzles, since you've stated you wanted some testing with this I wrote down notes as I went through the level.

My first thought on getting in was, where do I go. The lack of clear indication of intimidate and final goals is really the biggest downside to the map. And I can't claim I ever got lost. Having the tower you need to reach first right in front of you with a very clear way over to it meant I spend little time wondering where I needed to go. Still I'd rather have an idea where I want to go rather than just going where it is easy to. Once on the tower I did the same thing, went where it was easy to go, and got to the propulsion gel section.

I will note I found it a little odd that either there wasn't an info_placementhelper or it was off centre at the base of the tower. Tried a few times to centre the portal without luck although it made no difference to the difficult of the puzzle. I also think I may have flung myself out of an unintended surface. I used this, on top of the tower, as an exit rather than the angled surface over the spawn.

This area was defiantly the most challenging. First thing I did was go for the floor button and see what it did. Opened a door in the ceiling, figured I was supposed to fling my self up it. Again I didn't like not being able to see what was up there that I was trying to get to, but it was pretty clear what I was supposed to do. Had some DOH moments obtaining the cube. Figured I was supposed to fling it over to where I was but I tried this first, followed by the one on the left before finally trying the on on the right. I don't think that due to any misdirection on the map, well the first one maybe but I should have tried the one on the right second since I'd just flung myself out of it. I did later find this solution, which I think is unintended.

Once I got the gel it was simple to see where I was supposed to spray it to jump up to the second level. I was surprised by the door closing behind me though. I actually when back down to the first level to see what happened to the cube. When I couldn't find the cube I'd figured there was a trigger to destroy it, but since I saw I needed it for the second level to I actually re-did the first level to try and save the cube. I knew in the back of my head it wouldn't work but I think breaking the normal portal rules (destroying a cube without explanation) made me want to test everything to be sure.

When I gave up trying to save the cube from the first level I then tried to get a new cube for the second level. At this part I got a little lost. My first thought was to fling the cube up to me like I had on the lower level, but I couldn't find a platform facing the right way. I then though to re-direct the repulsion gel to bounce the cube up to. That though lasted all of the whole second it took to realise the gel was landing on a non-portalable surface. That's when I realized the repulsion gel had to be for a jump and I probability needed propulsion gel on the run up to it. However, I think I was still stuck on this as a way to get the cube and so I spend a few minutes trying to get the propulsion get up to the second level without access to the cube. Bit of a DOH moment when I realized I had it backwards and could just portal the cube directly to me and use it to get the gel I needed.

Rest of the puzzle when like a breeze. Tried the two buttons on the landing platform from the repulsion gel jump and saw I needed to use the tractor beam to catch the cube and get it to me to hold the button down to cross the gap. The exit sign caused a little confusion as I didn't see an exit under it, but as there was only one catapult in the room with it I figured I trust it to send me to the right place.

All in all a nice fun map. Felt a little scattered with the puzzles not necessarily connecting very well, but re-using the tractor beam at the end helped to make tie that to the beginning, which was a nice touch. I look forward to more of your maps in the future.
yongedevil

Postby Anamax » Sun May 08, 2011 4:10 am

Wow!
Very good job, man!
Make it a little longer, fix some bugs, add some light and details and send it to Valve as a DLC ;)
Temporary the best Portal2 Community-Map!
Keep mapping!
Anamax

Postby Quargos » Sun May 08, 2011 5:49 am

Very nice! seemed quite straight forward to me, but it's not easy to make a good map that isn't.

I look forward to seeing more like this.
Quargos

Postby jope » Sun May 08, 2011 6:16 am

Just beautiful. I really like this 1940 style of a map :)

EDIT: I gave it one more testing and found a big shortcut.
|
at the very beginning you can jump down and make a portal on the left side and get here pretty quick.

You should just make a fence at the beginning ;)
jope

Postby Applzor » Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 am

terrific map, has just the right feel
Applzor

Postby Nighterogue » Sun May 08, 2011 10:27 am

Fun map, on my first run through just playing the map how I thought it should be played,I got lost a bit, but I eventually got it. I got lost with too many options, it wasn't that the puzzles were too difficult/broken, just didn't see them.

On my second run looking for shortcuts, I found a really big one. Like solve the map in less than 45 seconds with errors big. Here is a link to an unlisted video I uploaded to YouTube on how its done, though its not really hard. A lot like what Jope said, only even more cut out.

Only watch after you have completed the map please.

|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7zBwXX4Bc
Nighterogue

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases