[Coop] Surprise - Map 1 1.0

[Coop] Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby DrummerB » Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm

This is a (probably) medium difficulty Coop map. It doesn't include any hardcore moves and you don't need extreme precision or timing, but I think it's quite challenging. I hope you like it.
Let me know if you find any problems or have some ideas for improvements or changes.

Instructions:
Copy the .bsp file to your maps folder (usually something like C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\portal2\portal 2\maps).
In the game, enable the developer console in the settings.
Go to the hub with your buddy.
Open the console, and type "changelevel mp_coop_surprise1".

Video Guide
Only watch, if you already completed the map, are stuck or don't want to play it anyway :wink:



File Name: mp_coop_surprise1.bsp
File Size: 4.33 MiB
Surprise - Map 1
Last edited by DrummerB on Mon May 16, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DrummerB
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: May 4, 2011

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby DrummerB » Mon May 09, 2011 8:57 pm

If anyone knows how to send the players back to the hub when they're done, please tell me. Currently you have to use the game menu to quit the level at the end.
DrummerB
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: May 4, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby Sulfaras » Tue May 10, 2011 11:26 am

very nice idea with this getting stucked and free your partner.
Sulfaras
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Apr 26, 2011
Location: Leipzig (Germany)

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby IlleTheFirst » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am

awesome idea with the cages.

difficulty fits with the description.
IlleTheFirst
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum
 
Posts: 11
Joined: May 10, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby DrummerB » Tue May 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks. Could you please use spoiler tags to not to ruin the surprise?

I would like to hear if you found my solution, or found an other one. A friend of mine solved it with his ninja skills in a way I didn't think of.

My solution |
If you solved it my way, you were able to direct the funnel so that it transported the gel directly to the second player.


Other solution |
My friend let the gel drop from one funnel to the next which required some good timing, but is still a good solution.
DrummerB
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: May 4, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby Chewbacha007 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Interesting puzzle, but I think we found a bug.

First off getting out of the cage: , we didn't use the blue gel to get the one guy out of the cage. Instead there's a cube hidden behind the excursion funnel. I passed it to him and he jumped on top of it to get out of the cage.

Bug: Have one person stand on the button in front of the door. Have a block on the other button. When the door opens, the other player goes in. However, when the player standing on the button gets off of the button, the exit door doesn't shut, so you can get both players out now. This is getting around somehow getting a block across the emancipation grid (which is what I assume you wanted).

Keep up the mapping!
Chewbacha007
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum
 
Posts: 23
Joined: May 10, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby bartsimpson94 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:48 pm

your panel effects and the moving walls are just awesome
map is also nice is it normal to solve the puzzle by shooting a portal over the emancipation grill?
bartsimpson94
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 6, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby DrummerB » Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Chewbacha007 wrote:
First off getting out of the cage: , we didn't use the blue gel to get the one guy out of the cage. Instead there's a cube hidden behind the excursion funnel. I passed it to him and he jumped on top of it to get out of the cage.

Okay, I think that's a good alternative solution.

Chewbacha007 wrote:
Bug: Have one person stand on the button in front of the door. Have a block on the other button. When the door opens, the other player goes in. However, when the player standing on the button gets off of the button, the exit door doesn't shut, so you can get both players out now. This is getting around somehow getting a block across the emancipation grid (which is what I assume you wanted).

Hmm, yes, that shouldn't happen. You should still have to bring one of the cubes to the other side. I'll try to fix this.

Chewbacha007 wrote:
Keep up the mapping!

I'd like to. I have an other map half done, but I won't have tim to finish it until early june. Exams etc.. :(

bartsimpson94 wrote:
your panel effects and the moving walls are just awesome
map is also nice is it normal to solve the puzzle by shooting a portal over the emancipation grill?

Thanks. If you mean jumping on the gel and shooting a portal onto the other side, then no. There is an other way. I probably should have made the fizzler a bit higher, so you can't jump high enough.
DrummerB
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: May 4, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby klausi81 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 am

very nice map! was lot of fun to play! more pls! :)
klausi81
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 12, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby Thursaz » Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 am

Even without using the gel, you can use the funnel to get you to the top of the map to shoot over the fizzler. I assumed this was the appropriate solution, though in retrospect this does mean I didn't use the gel at all. xD
Thursaz
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 98
Joined: May 10, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby DrummerB » Thu May 12, 2011 9:23 am

Thursaz wrote:
Even without using the gel, you can use the funnel to get you to the top of the map to shoot over the fizzler. I assumed this was the appropriate solution, though in retrospect this does mean I didn't use the gel at all. xD


How did you get the second player out?
|
The first player should (and probably can only) escape using the funnel. Then you can transport the gel to the second player to help him out and to do this you have to use the funnel to shoot a portal over the fizzler. Alternatively you can use a cube to get the second player out.
DrummerB
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: May 4, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby Thursaz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:23 am

Yeah, I used the cube. Never touched the repulsion gel. xD It was a nice map overall, though! Slightly confusing, but I was trying this in singleplayer controlling both characters, so that's to be expected. xD
Thursaz
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 98
Joined: May 10, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby Zahl » Fri May 13, 2011 6:40 pm

DrummerB wrote:
My solution |
If you solved it my way, you were able to direct the funnel so that it transported the gel directly to the second player.
I can't see how :(

Quote:
Other solution |
My friend let the gel drop from one funnel to the next which required some good timing, but is still a good solution.

We did that too. Had to quickly switch two portals to redirect the funnel, kinda simulate having 3 pairs of portals. Took us three tries to get the timing right. :)
Zahl
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum
 
Posts: 14
Joined: May 7, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby Doolittle » Sun May 15, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks for the upload, me and my partner agreed that this is the best map out so far.
Doolittle
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 15, 2011

Re: Surprise - Map 1 1.0

Postby xdiesp » Sun May 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Very good map, takes effort and understanding to get the 2nd player out... the proper way. But what is the intended way to get the cube across, since jumping wasn't supposed to be?
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
User avatar
xdiesp
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 1,037
Joined: May 13, 2011
Location: Pebble in the Sky

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 
Next

Return to Community Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 5 guests