[SP] Test_03

[SP] Test_03

Postby Supervillain » Sat May 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Now, we don't want you trying your hand at test_03 unless you've completed test_01 and test_02 before hand. And looking at your file here you've... well, the lab boys say it's okay. Give it a shot! What's the worst that could happen? I hear this one has a surprise ending too. Those lab boys don't like surprises, but I don't like their egg shaped heads. Let's show those white-coated nerds what a good surprise can do for a man!

File Name: test_03.zip
File Size: 1.54 MiB
Click here to download Test_03
Last edited by Supervillain on Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Supervillain
Defective Turret

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Test_03

Postby Supervillain » Sat May 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey guys! My first Portal 2 release here. Everything's just about the way I want it. Couldn't get elevator transitions working the way I liked, so I've added a "surprise" at the end.

Enjoy test_03 and give me some feedback please!

INSTALL: You know the drill! Save test_03 in programs/steam/steamapps/common/portal2/portal2/maps
RUN IT: You also know this drill! Open console and type "map test_03" or simply double click test_03.bsp after it is saved in the right folder.

SOLUTION: Click ahead to this youtube video to watch a short demo of the level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBhsOTvApI
Last edited by Supervillain on Sat May 14, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supervillain
Defective Turret

Postby Stylus » Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Short but very nice, i liked it a lot. You might want to fix the door markers that are turned the wrong way.
Stylus
Defective Turret

Postby Justevil » Sat May 14, 2011 1:17 pm

nice map. im assuming it ends with the 3 turrets at the end blasting the crap out of me ? If not then maybe i have some more testing to do :shock:
Justevil
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Supervillain » Sat May 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Justevil wrote:
nice map. im assuming it ends with the 3 turrets at the end blasting the crap out of me ? If not then maybe i have some more testing to do :shock:

Yeah, you've found the surprise! And you've earned it (well, the lab boys say otherwise, but I won't stand around while they give you guff all day).

Once I get elevator transitions working properly I will attach this to the other test chambers I am working on.

Thank you both for playing and giving feedback!
Supervillain
Defective Turret

Postby Sulfaras » Sat May 14, 2011 2:15 pm

you laser is buggy. it changes his height when a laser cube comes in its near. very strange
Sulfaras
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby C8H10N4O2 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Not too easy, not too hard, looks nice and was fun.
the perfect map :)
C8H10N4O2

Postby sorebones » Sat May 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Nice little test. I didn't like the first door, but when I figured out the laser puzzle I felt like an idiot for not seeing the solution sooner, and that's the best kind of puzzle, IMO.
sorebones

Postby Idolon » Sat May 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Sulfaras wrote:
you laser is buggy. it changes his height when a laser cube comes in its near. very strange

Valve made lasers "home in" on their targets, so that players didn't have to be completely accurate when aiming lasers.
Idolon
Community Contributor

Postby Supervillain » Sat May 14, 2011 4:22 pm

sorebones wrote:
Nice little test. I didn't like the first door, but when I figured out the laser puzzle I felt like an idiot for not seeing the solution sooner, and that's the best kind of puzzle, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking of changing that first door/room a bit to give it some more depth. Right now that beginning part is kinda.....meh.

Glad it stumped you (if only for a moment!) :D
Supervillain
Defective Turret

Postby Lukavian » Sat May 14, 2011 5:12 pm

The use of an invisible wall to keep people from grabbing the turrets was...frankly, I'm not sure. Part of me likes it, the detail it took to realize that hey, people will probably replay the chamber and try to get the turrets down first. But I always hate invisible walls in FPS games (I'm looking at you Borderlands) so maybe I'm biased. Good use of dual room puzzles, excellent guide markers, good puzzle all around. You may want to fix the glass elevator doors in the future so that players can't just walk through them, though I doubt more than a small handful of people tried it to begin with. Excellent start. Keep it up!
Lukavian
Defective Turret

Postby Thursaz » Sat May 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Very nice puzzle! I liked several of the methods that had to be used to get the cube up the platform, heh. The solutions used in this are pretty new to me- never had to grab something mid-fling before- so I'd say it'd a great map overall. Especially the ending. Good job with the map, and looking forward to your next work!
Thursaz
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby tin-hay » Sat May 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I broke it trying to avoid the ending. Non spoiler video. (still having trouble using the built in recorder if someone wants to give me tips on that.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_GkAz81uY
tin-hay

Postby xdiesp » Sun May 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Neat level, small but well engineered. Proof that white walls levels aren't dead fortunately. :wink:
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
xdiesp
Community Contributor

Re: [SP] Test_03

Postby lavoie6453 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Hey, nice map but there should be another surprise once you kill the surprise. I killed the surprise and nothing happened.. just pure loneliness ):
lavoie6453
Defective Turret

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases