[TUTORIAL] Custom Chamber Signs (Without VScripts)

[TUTORIAL] Custom Chamber Signs (Without VScripts)

Postby Darkylight » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 am

Hey everybody (I wish this is the section for this x). Here am I with a tutorial for all people who wants to make Chamber Signs, with new things, with original things... Here we go!

Video version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUb6fN_Bh64

Creating the sign image

1. First of all you need to make the image for your test sign, you can do it with Sign Maker or make yourself. I have in the bottom of the tutorial my own version of signs for use.

2. (Skip this if you dont use Sign Maker) Now its easy, only select the number of the chamber, texts, and things are in the chamber. Export it when you finish.

3. Now you need to do a vtf and a vmt for your texture. Use VTF Edit and import it to make the VTF. Save it in your own folder in portal2/materials/yourfolderhere/

4. Now create the vmt, if you can, make a selfilum texture for your sign. There is the code to make the vmt. Save it with the same name and in the same folder than your sign.

Code: Select all
LightMappedGeneric
{
$basetexture "yourfolder/nameofthesignyouwilluse"
$surfaceprop glass
$selfilum 1
"%noportal" 1
"%keywords" "here your keywords"
}

Now go into hammer and search your texture, do you have? OK!

Creating the sign in hammer

1. Now is time to create your own sign without scripts. For this you need an prop_static, search "testchambersign" and use it. If you can see there is a clean and black sign.

2. Now create a func_brush with the same size than the testchambersign without (in the smaller grid) 1 square every corner to make it in the inner of the testchamber sign.

3.Now use nodraw in it and in the front face use your sign texture and fit it. Now you have the sign BUT you need the sounds and the rest of the things.

4a. (horizontal signchamber) Now create three spot lights like this (all in the vertical center of the sign): Image

4b. (vertical signchamber) For a normal vertical chamber do the same than a but the lights are in the horizontal center and put the three in the vertical center like the image (90º rotated :D)

5. Now all lights needs to be 150 of light or 100, not more. Call them with the same name (for this tutorial light_test1).

6. Use appearance Fluorescent flicker for the three and initially dark.

7. Now duplicate the three and change the name of the three to light_test2, in the same location but in appearance normal.

8. Now create a ambient_generic and search in gamesounds VFX.OGSignFlicker with the name of test_sfx, and with the sourceentityname the brush you use to the texture.

9. Create a trigger_multiple with the name of test_trigger and put this in the outputs: Image

Here it is. Screen from the result (with custom chamber): http://puu.sh/2GDf

Have fun! (If you wanna have the horizontal custom chamber sign: http://puu.sh/2GDy
Last edited by Darkylight on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darkylight
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [TUTORIAL] Custom Chamber Signs (Without Scripts)

Postby KenJeKenny!? » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Nicely done! This could make for some cool&original custom test signs...

I think you should consider making a video/youtube tutorial for this :) Would be very usefull!
.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.
KenJeKenny!?
Community Contributor

Postby Darkylight » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 pm

KenJeKenny!? wrote:
Nicely done! This could make for some cool&original custom test signs...

I think you should consider making a video/youtube tutorial for this :) Would be very usefull!

I made but not upload. The problem is I'm spanish and I can write in english but speak... Em (ridiculous) <-<

So I can make it without talk if you want.
Darkylight

Postby KenJeKenny!? » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:18 pm

You can use the youtube info boxes to show info and instructions in the video... That would make up for most i geuss... and the rest is just following your steps i geuss.... so make sure you don't go to fast in the video.
.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.
KenJeKenny!?
Community Contributor

Postby ZeronFX » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Love it. This is exactly what I was looking for.
ZeronFX
Defective Turret

Postby Darkylight » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Video added :D
Darkylight

Postby Will T. » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Not bad! I might try working with this. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
There is no "N" in "Turret."
Will T.
Community Contributor

Postby FusedCore » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm

This still requires scripting(editing any file with a script is called scripting...) so the title is wrong!

P.S. I don't trust your download url as it looks fishy and when you can just upload it on this site...
FusedCore
Defective Turret

Postby ChickenMobile » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm

FusedCore wrote:
This still requires scripting(editing any file with a script is called scripting...) so the title is wrong!
The .vmt is not a scripting. It is a way for the custom texture to be accessed inside hammer and in game.
ChickenMobile
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby FusedCore » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 pm

chickenmobile wrote:
FusedCore wrote:
The .vmt is not a scripting. It is a way for the custom texture to be accessed inside hammer and in game.

read here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vmt <- it is scripting

The game and editor need this script to understand what/where your texture is and the settings for it.
FusedCore
Defective Turret

Postby Will T. » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 am

What the OP means by "no scripts" is that it doesn't require a custom VScript, while the method Portal 2's default SP/co-op campaigns use for their signs does. Trying to use Valve's method has proven highly problematic so far when it comes to custom maps (doing it wrong causes the signs in Valve's maps to break, for starters, and having multiple customs installed with separate versions of the file controlling the signs leads to conflicts), so the ability to do this another way, without the need to edit vital game script files, and get a reasonably-good-looking result out of it to boot, is helpful.

It may not be the perfect method, but it'll get us far enough for now. :)

----------

Here's a tip I found for making the sign appear to "flicker on" not mentioned in the OP:
Make whatever controls the sign start-up enable/disable the func_brush with your custom texture on it several times at varying intervals between the time the sign power-up sequence starts and the time the sign is fully on. It gives an effect along the lines of Valve's flickery sign boot-ups.
Last edited by Will T. on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is no "N" in "Turret."
Will T.
Community Contributor

Postby FusedCore » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:09 am

FusedCore
Defective Turret

Postby ChickenMobile » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:17 am

FusedCore wrote:
read here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vmt <- it is scripting
Your being too absolute lol. But not once did I see the word 'script' in the link. ;)

Maybe it should be "[TUTORIAL] Custom Chamber Signs (Without VScripts)" to stop confusion.
ChickenMobile

Re: [TUTORIAL] Custom Chamber Signs (Without VScripts)

Postby Darkylight » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:03 am

Now changed the title xD.

Well, its my own way to make custom test chamber because I tried one time to do it with vscripts and its so hard, so i tried to make it by another way and I did it :D

In one future I will make some more tutorials for another things.
Darkylight

Re: [TUTORIAL] Custom Chamber Signs (Without VScripts)

Postby ChickenMobile » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:25 am

Darkylight wrote:
In one future I will make some more tutorials for another things.
It's good to share knowledge with other people, especially things that you have had trouble with. Because there is a good chance that a lot of other people have had the same problem.

Forgot to say: Nice tut for a sign alternative :)
ChickenMobile

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Hammer and Modding