Summer Mapping Initiative - Contest Winners

Summer Mapping Initiative - Contest Winners

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Over the course of the past two and some change weeks, our 13 judges have spent over a collective 140 hours playing 240 of some of the best custom maps this community has seen. As I have said previously, the turn out for this contest has been amazing and I want to thank each and every one of our participants.

But without carrying on too much, let's get down to business. The first and second place Grand Prize winners of the ThinkingWithPortals.com 2011 Summer Mapping Initiative are Patent Pending by ebola with a 4.66 out of 5 (6 votes) and Infinifling by MrTwoVideoCards with a 4.62 out of 5 (8 votes). Congratulations guys!

In third place, by mere fractions of points, is Edifice by Omnicoder with 4.62 out of 5 (8 votes). Fourth place comes as Delta Bunsen by Lobster with 4.58 out of 5 (6 votes), and fifth place in our top 2% is Cubes 'n' Funnels by Will T. with 4.50 out of 5 (6 votes).

The top rated Coop maps overall were Redirecting Redirection by MrTwoVideoCards in 6th place, Fast Bridge by Skotty in 7th place, and Fling Bridge by Kosire in 11th place.

I am sure everyone is dying to see the full results, and we will be posting it up soon once we figure out the best format to present all of the data. Each map was played by a minimum of 2 judges, and each judge submitted their own score, and since I know many of you would want to know every detail of your map's judgement, we are going to need to release all of the information intelligently.

I would like to thank everyone who participated, as this contest would not be immensely successful without your submissions. I would also like to thank Mevious, Farragar, WinstonSmith, and most of all Nacimota for judging an insane amount of maps and spending so much of your free personal time helping with this. And lastly I would like to thank Chet over at Valve for helping coordinate this contest, bringing exposure to our community and helping the Portal 2 mapping scene to blossom.
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | List of all Rankings Contest 2012
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns. If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators.
npc_msleeper_boss
 Note: You can not use the Developer Console to spawn this entity.

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Summer Mapping Initiative - Contest Winners

Postby jamesf141 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Wow, congratulations to you guys; 140 hours! Woah. That sounds like the most awesome job in the world :D

Well done to the winners, the runners up and everyone else, and thank you guys for an awesome competition. I personally loved it, and I'm sure everyone else did, too.
'I'm just going to attempt a manual override on this wall...'
jamesf141
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Groxkiller585 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Well even though I lost I am sure happy to see such epic maps win! Especially Patent Pending, that map definetely deserves to win, as well as Omni's map. Congrats guys!
Groxkiller585
Community Contributor

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:04 pm

jamesf141 wrote:
That sounds like the most awesome job in the world :D

You have no idea how wrong you are. I am so burned out on Portal 2 right now, I need to go outside and swim in the pool or throw a football or something.
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns. If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators.
npc_msleeper_boss

Postby Motanum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Gratz to everyone!

Edit, explain one thing, Omni's and mrtwovideocards' map has the same rating out of 8 votes... that is kinda unfair IMO. Should brought more judges to remove that small disparity.
Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com
Motanum
Community Contributor

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Motanum wrote:
Edit, explain one thing, Omni's and mrtwovideocards' map has the same rating out of 8 votes... that is kinda unfair IMO. Should brought more judges to remove that small disparity.

8 people submitted separate votes, so the score is some long decimal. The judging site that we are using only displays the first 2 digits, so they appear to be the same score even though one is higher before display rounding.
npc_msleeper_boss

Postby Motanum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

msleeper wrote:
Motanum wrote:

8 people submitted separate votes, so the score is some long decimal. The judging site that we are using only displays the first 2 digits, so they appear to be the same score even though one is higher before display rounding.

Fair enough...
Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com
Motanum
Community Contributor

Postby MrTwoVideoCards » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Holy shit.
MrTwoVideoCards
Community Contributor

Postby r1corix » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Sweet! ;]
r1corix
Community Contributor

Postby kwp21 pitts » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Congratulations everyone!
First guy tells the second guy, "My head hurts!" The second guy replied, "Stop thinking so much!" Then the first guy says, "I think that what caused my problem in the first place!" The second guy says, "Then stop banging you head against the wall!"

ImageImageVDC User Page
kwp21 pitts
Community Contributor

Postby KenJeKenny!? » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Excellent choices! Altho i honestly thought Delta Bunsen would win... and i still think he at least deserved 2nd place. But that's just my opinion... :blah:

Anyways, awesome job judges and i cannot wait for the release of all the reviews&scores! :D
.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.
KenJeKenny!?
Community Contributor

Postby RubyCarbuncIe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Oh well I guess I didn't make it after all. However i had fun with it and some really awesome maps won, I fully expected Patent Pending to be at the top when the contest was over with. Congrats to every who won, and congrats to everyone else who made an awesome map in this contest.
"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:
|
Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire

RubyCarbuncIe
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby MrTwoVideoCards » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 pm

KenJeKenny!? wrote:
Excellent choices! Altho i honestly thought Delta Bunsen would win... and i still think he at least deserved 2nd place. But that's just my opinion... :blah:

Anyways, awesome job judges and i cannot wait for the release of all the reviews&scores! :D

Delta Bunsen was a really cool map, I honestly thought that was going to be the winner judging that early on.
MrTwoVideoCards
Community Contributor

Postby no00dylan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm feeling the most incredible mixture of emotions right now, congratulations to the top maps- they're really great. I know Mr.2videocards is freaking out right now :D
no00dylan
Community Contributor

Postby MrTwoVideoCards » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Freaking the fuck out man.
MrTwoVideoCards
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to News and Announcements