Portal:Access All Areas [WIP]

Re: Portal:Access All Areas [WIP]

Postby Mek » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 am

kizzycocoa wrote:
ňor at least, that's my theory. it's probably an irreversable final code or something :?
this :wink:
Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
Mek
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Postby kizzycocoa » Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 am

Mek wrote:
this :wink:

well, now I know. and now, I know not to think like that :D

see? much better than calling people childish rude names :3
kizzycocoa
Mantisman

Postby Remmiz » Thu May 21, 2009 2:04 pm

kizzycocoa wrote:
I am good at common sense.

The common sense that tells you: wait, if code can be decompiled, why was Valve so angry when the source code for HL2 got leaked? Or why you even compile it in the first place if it can be decompiled as easy?
Remmiz
Community Contributor

Postby kizzycocoa » Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Remmiz wrote:
The common sense that tells you: wait, if code can be decompiled, why was Valve so angry when the source code for HL2 got leaked? Or why you even compile it in the first place if it can be decompiled as easy?

I never knew that :/
but if I did, I would realise that the release was accidental, and understand why it wasn't released. I also would think that they compiled it for it to be compatable with whatever they were using to make the game.
kizzycocoa
Mantisman

Postby kizzycocoa » Fri May 22, 2009 3:51 pm

massive update!

the following mail occured earlier this week:
Quote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:07 PM
To: steamworks@valvesoftware.com
Subject: steamworks for mods

on your site somewhere, it said mods weren't going to have steamworks
however, on http://steamreview.org/posts/steamworksmod/ , it says a few popular mods were allowed to use it.

so, we are wondering if our mod could use it.
of course, not yet as the mod is still in production, but once it's finished.

now, we are asking this because this mod (portal:access all areas) will be big. around about the same size as portal memory-wise, but much bigger map-wise. it would probably be about the same length of time of HL2 to fully explore. however, with our survival mode, it will take a lot longer, as we plan to use all sections fully and combine them with a mix of puzzles and a first person shooter.

and we also planned to add acheivements to fully complete this massive project.
however, we are unsure as to if the mods released via steamworks are for popular mods only, or if other mods, particularly of this size, are allowed to also use steamworks.

thanks for your time either way :)

> From: <subject name here> <<subject name here>@valvesoftware.com>
> Subject: RE: steamworks for mods
> To: "'Kizzycocoa'" <kizzycocoa@yahoo.co.uk>
> Date: Wednesday, 20 May, 2009, 11:58 PM

Hello,

At this time the only mods that are using Steamworks are the ones released on Steam. Once your mid is released please make sure we are aware of it so we can determine if it is a good fit for distribution on Steam.

Kind regards,

<subject name here>

we see this as a yes, with a small possibility of a no :D
why?

because:

*we have a multiplayer function.
*we have 4-6 weapons already planned and being coded.
-we have a great co-op twist.
-we have an awe-inspiring room that will surprise everyone.
*we have loads of ideas for acheivements.
-we have loads of easter-egg ideas.
-we have customisable features, such as music and textures.
*we have a huge compatability centre for all the map-lovers out there.
*we have a huge amount of rooms to use for many multi-genre ideas, to suit everyone. some of these include adventure, puzzle and survival genres.
-we have 3 test chamber runs planned. easy, medium and hard.
*and we have a whole new, unique viewpoint of GLaDOS and aperture science incorperated into the story.
*several other top secret parts to the mod.

of course, to make it will take time. I have said we could release it by the end of next year, but it may take slightly longer :|

but still, we see a definate yes from steamworks, should we accomplish those points we plan.
and just to show you how far in we are, I have added a key to show what the symbols next to the ideas mean

*=working on
-=idea

so, as you can see, we are well into halfway of making rough concepts.
once all of them are done in rough, it's only a matter of detailing them :D

so, yeah. very eventful and exciting week for us :P
kizzycocoa
Mantisman

Postby Remmiz » Fri May 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Edit: Okay that was mean but hahahaa
Remmiz
Community Contributor

Postby PortalFan77 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:27 pm

#1. You wont get on Steamworks.

#2. Your mod is nothing special and will not be anything different than Prelude, Chells legend, or project beta.

#3. You cannot modify portal, it is impossible. :(

#4. Have fun making another map pack mod.

Now lets go through each of your points.
Code: Select all
*we have a multiplayer function.
Portal multiplayer does not work, once you get 2 or more people into a server and walk through a portal the game crashes.
*we have 4-6 weapons already planned and being coded.
Not possible to add weapons to Portal.
-we have a great co-op twist.
See above Multiplayer post
*we have loads of ideas for acheivements.
Might work, havent ever tried.
-we have customisable features, such as music and textures.
Obviously this is possible and can all be done through hammer.
*we have a huge amount of rooms to use for many multi-genre ideas, to suit everyone. some of these include adventure, puzzle and survival genres.
It is impossible to please everyone.
*and we have a whole new, unique viewpoint of GLaDOS and aperture science incorperated into the story.
This could be difficult if not impossible to pull off in a good way.

Basically you can keep working on all the models, sounds, scripts, textures, and maps all you want, but you will never be able to add MP or new weapon support to Portal.
PortalFan77
Huge Portal Fan
Huge Portal Fan

Postby p0rtalplayer » Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 am

PortalFan77 wrote:
#1 :blah:

Is the cup half empty? Or half full?

For you, half empty.

For our team, half full.

Sure, multiplayer has never worked in the past. Sure, coding new weapons for portal has never worked in the past. Sure, this may just be a giant mappack. But let's look at it the OPTIMISTIC way.

#1: Steamworks is a POSSIBILITY. We may get it, we may not. We won't know for at least another year because this mod is still in production.

#2: It is special, in a way, because it is so large and fits so many genres. Just like Prelude was special because of it's unique storyline (same with chell's legend, only different story) and project beta is special because of it's improved textures, models, etc.

#3: Actually, you can MODIFY portal, but not in such strict terms make a MOD of it. Aka, you can replace a texture and make the game experience compeltely different, but you can't, again, in such strict terms, mod it.

#4: Yeah, we will have fun. The reason I signed up is because it looked fun and interesting. We'll also have fun rubbing it in your face when it comes out.

Now lets go through each of YOUR points:

Portalfan77 wrote:
Portal multiplayer does not work, once you get 2 or more people into a server and walk through a portal the game crashes.
Well, we don't know if it works or not, it's still WIP.

Portalfan77 wrote:
Not possible to add weapons to portal
Again, this is still WIP.

Portalfan77 wrote:
Might work, haven't ever tried.
This WILL be possible if we get steamworks.

Portalfan77 wrote:
Obviously this is possible and can all be done through hammer.
:potd:

Portalfan77 wrote:
It is impossible to please everyone.
No, but we can get close.

Portalfan77 wrote:
This could be difficult if not impossible to pull off in a good way.
Difficult? Yes. Impossible? NO. Besides, on the note of impossible, take a look at my sig.

Thanks for the advice, but try to look on the bright side next time :D :D :D :D :D :notwant:
Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.
p0rtalplayer
Community Contributor

Postby kizzycocoa » Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 am

wow. way to go PP :D
I second each of his arguments, however, there are a few which aren't all too true :wink:

1)We'll also have fun rubbing it in your face when it comes out.

we won't all have fun doing that. the majoritory will :lol:

ok, serious now.

2)Not possible to add weapons to portal

it is COMPLETELY possible! by using the original models, make several alterations and put them back. trust me, even someone who dislikes the mod as much as you will like them :wink:

3)Your mod is nothing special and will not be anything different than Prelude, Chells legend, or project beta.

it will. it will feature a difficult test chamber run, a survival mode, a multiplayer mode and a redo of many textures.
to be honest, this will take a while, but it will give you the main features of these.
however, we are in no way insinuating that it is the best in the world. some may like it, some may hate it.
kizzycocoa
Mantisman

Postby reaper » Sun May 24, 2009 9:24 am

so do you mean that it is possible to mod portal in your maps?
reaper
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby kizzycocoa » Sun May 24, 2009 9:35 am

reaper wrote:
so do you mean that it is possible to mod portal in your maps?
we can to an extent.
we believe we can get a MP function, so we stand by our mod :3
kizzycocoa
Mantisman

Postby PortalFan77 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:55 am

kizzycocoa wrote:
we can to an extent.
we believe we can get a MP function, so we stand by our mod :3

Keyword: Believe.
PortalFan77
Huge Portal Fan
Huge Portal Fan

Postby npc_msleeper_boss » Mon May 25, 2009 3:07 am

I'm locking this stupid, stupid thread. There is too much misinformation going around, mostly because portalplayer doesn't know what he's talking about.

kizzycocoa wrote:
I must ask, was it really necessary to insult the guy? as a moderator, I'd expect you to not insult them. unless your purpose is to drive people away and make this site die faster :roll:

[. . .]

on a side note, logically, the source code is on all of our computers.
I mean, surely the compiled code is used for the actual game?
so, logically, if someone were clever enough, they could try to decompile the game to get the source code? :?

idk. I don't know anything to do with the technical side of things :P

When someone doesn't know what they're talking about, and they continue to refuse to listen to people who do know what they are talking about, then yeah, they're being stubborn and retarded and deserve to be insulted. We're trying to help this guy but he doesn't want our help. Instead he wants to go on and on and on about being "optimistic" and hoping that maybe he'll be a real life mod just like Pinnochio, but the bottom line is that he can't and won't. He just doesn't want to listen because he doesn't want to face the music. Well, the music's here, take a listen.

Also, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't make irrational conjectures. There's nothing "logical" about assuming the source code is on your computer just because you own Portal. In fact nothing could be farther from the truth. I own Windows, does that mean I own the source code to it? No. You should read up on how programming and code compilation works before you just guess at it.

p0rtalplayer wrote:
Sure, multiplayer has never worked in the past. Sure, coding new weapons for portal has never worked in the past. Sure, this may just be a giant mappack. But let's look at it the OPTIMISTIC way.

Well, we don't know if it works or not, it's still WIP.

This WILL be possible if we get steamworks.

Multiplayer has never worked in the past, because it won't work ever. Nothing has changed between "the past" and now, the client networking code hasn't been touched since the day of release. It can't happen and it won't happen. Period, end of story.

Coding new weapons has never worked in the past, because it's impossible to do so. You need the game's source code to do that, and you or anyone won't ever get that any time soon, if ever at all. Period, end of story.

You won't get added to Steamworks, because you're not a mod. You're a map pack. Period, end of story.

It's cute that you really want to make your map pack and that you think - and that's all, you think - you can make these changes like multiplayer and coop and new weapons and so on, but you can't. You can't because it's not possible. It's not a matter of being optimistic or what the fuck ever, it's because we do not have the source to Portal, and without it there is nothing that can be done. Trust me, if it was possible to add coop or other things to Portal, people would have done it a long, long time ago. People way smarter than you, and way smarter than me.

But it's not possible. Accept the fact that you, as PortalFan said, are nothing more than the other "mods" like Prelude, Chell's legend, and Project Beta are - which is a map pack.

Period, end of story.
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | List of all Rankings Contest 2012
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns. If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators.
npc_msleeper_boss
 Note: You can not use the Developer Console to spawn this entity.

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Previous

Return to Hammer and Modding