[SP] Gray Test One

[SP] Gray Test One

Postby Graytico » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

This is my first map upload ^_^. I made this map for fun and learned a lot about the destroyed theme. It will be fairly easy to beat. Any feedback would be appreciated!

File Name: sp_grayTestOne.zip
File Size: 2.21 MiB
Click here to download Gray Test One
Graytico
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Gray Test One

Postby Wanderer2021 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:27 am

No entrance elevator area,the map was too big for the puzzle. There is no map end sequence either, just the player being stuck in a repeated loop of the exit elevator until the force the map to quit. Its dark for most of the map, so add some lights to some of the areas and shrink down the open space. YOu also need to add a cubemap into the room, otherwise none of the reflective surfaces will render properly, which is what happened in the map. Interesting that you hid the exit behind a collapsible wall, but to collapse it either requires strafing to do so, or the loss of the redirection cube, which in turn breaks the puzzle.

I'm also going to note that the music playing was too loud for my taste, and the map could do without it.
There is no good or evil in the world. Thinking makes it so.
Wanderer2021
Community Contributor

Postby Zim808 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 am

Ok, there is a lot to cover here. But I will only acknowledge a few. 1) NO NEED FOR LASER! 2) you should have added a cubemap. 3} Add a arrival elevator and a transition so you don't have to exit the level your self. 4) The level WAS too big. 5) You also could have made the level larger. "Meaning that you should have added more to it!" Overall not a bad first map, but you REALLY REALLLY need to work on it! LOOK AT SOME OF MY MAPS! Not THAT good, but I have taken A LOT of advice from people! And I hope you do the same! I am looking froward to your next map!

-Zim808 posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=5657#
Zim808

Postby Zim808 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:41 pm

:notwant:
Zim808

Postby Djinndrache » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 am

This map is kinda ugly, but the concept is okay. You just need much more work on the rest of the map. Also: what is the laser for? I didn't need it. On the other hand I believe you could get stuck because I didn't see a cube dispenser and you need the cube for the final door.

Here is my blindrun:

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8QrYGGP3s)
Djinndrache
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby XnowFM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 am

Idea of the collapsible wall is good, but the map itself is poorly executed.
Textures on the wall were to monotone, map was too big, laser had no function, map misses a cube, endroom was connected really messy.
Then my biggest comment: when standing correctly, I could see through narrow gaps between the walls-portions. Therefore I knew from the start that there was another room hiding behind that wall.
Please pay more attention to details and it will immediately improve your map! ( for example: there was a water drop that ended at the laserbeam, which was visually not so nice.)
XnowFM

Postby KennKong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 pm

I echo previous posters comments about the many things that need to be fixed. The breaking platform hit it me on the way down, knocking me into the wall with it. I like surprises, but only if they work at least most of the time. This should have been in WIP. 2/5.
Expand for my full signature |
My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works
KennKong
Community Contributor

Postby BlooMeth » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm

I can;t really add anything to what has already been said.
1/5.
BlooMeth

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Return to Community Releases