[SP] Broad Ratio

Re: [SP] Broad Ratio

Postby pruhster » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Pff, I would have never seen that white wall between the rooms if I hadn't read somebody suggesting you move it. There should be a way to make it more visible without allowing the unintended solution. Maybe extend the path with a little edge so one can look around.

Also there is indeed a bug with the fizzlers. They don't always get disabled by the last laser catcher.
pruhster
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Postby warnightify » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:30 pm

pruhster wrote:
Pff, I would have never seen that white wall between the rooms if I hadn't read somebody suggesting you move it. There should be a way to make it more visible without allowing the unintended solution. Maybe extend the path with a little edge so one can look around.

Also there is indeed a bug with the fizzlers. They don't always get disabled by the last laser catcher.

Technically there is a bug with fizzlers but it's not my fault to get entities bugged.I think there is no solution for fixing it.
warnightify
Community Contributor

Postby KennKong » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 pm

An easy map for me; one which I enjoyed solving. After I got through the first time, I couldn't remember what one target did (the one with one dot, two dot, square and crescent). I played through again, and didn't use it. So I thought I'd show you, in case there's a logic flaw in your map, not just a red herring. 4/5 from me.
Broad Ratio
Broad Ratio |
Expand for my full signature |
My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works
KennKong
Community Contributor

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:47 am

warnightify wrote:
pruhster wrote:

Technically there is a bug with fizzlers but it's not my fault to get entities bugged.I think there is no solution for fixing it.

I think that there's a problem with the fact that laser catchers can activate/deactivate too fast for fizzlers to properly register. To solve this problem:
Create two logic relays for each laser catcher. relay_on for the onpowered, relay_off for onunpowered.

relay_1_on;
OnTrigger; relay_1_off, cancelpending, 0.00
Ontrigger; --output here--, --stuff--, 0.01

Relay_1_off,
OnTrigger; relay_1_on , cancelpending, 0.00
Ontrigger; --output here--, --stuff--, 0.01

This makes sure the correct thing happens. Hopefully that will solve your fizzler issue too :D
Image Image Image
My maps: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Portal Stories: Past Power (demo map)
If you're interested, you can also check my steam workshop for even more tests!
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby nebbia88 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:31 am

lpfreaky90 wrote:
I didn't post any video's in this thread :lol:.

yeah sorry for my bad english, with "you" i was referring to all users in this topic XD

great, so i'm not that noob but there's a bug XD
nebbia88
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby macko68 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Good map and I enjoy it. There are some leaks and second part is more like forced addition but still 5/5 from me. Found it easy but it was a good respite from coop Four Rooms map that I`m working on.
macko68
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby warnightify » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:47 pm

macko68 wrote:
Good map and I enjoy it. There are some leaks and second part is more like forced addition but still 5/5 from me. Found it easy but it was a good respite from coop Four Rooms map that I`m working on.

Can you please specify places of leaks?
warnightify
Community Contributor

Postby zivi7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 pm

I would also suggest switching the two maps to have the far easier second one in the beginning. I also had trouble with the exit - while I did register that the light bridge was obviously supposed to be used, I didn't look close enough at that goo-gap-room. If I saw it correctly, in your first version the tiles were perfectly visible on the opposite wall. To prevent the unintended solution and still have them visible, maybe that room could be made wider and the white tiles could be placed on one of the sides of that room then? 4/5 from me. :thumbup:
zivi7
Community Contributor

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm

zivi7 wrote:
I would also suggest switching the two maps to have the far easier second one in the beginning. I also had trouble with the exit - while I did register that the light bridge was obviously supposed to be used, I didn't look close enough at that goo-gap-room. If I saw it correctly, in your first version the tiles were perfectly visible on the opposite wall. To prevent the unintended solution and still have them visible, maybe that room could be made wider and the white tiles could be placed on one of the sides of that room then? 4/5 from me. :thumbup:

Yes, fixing this unintended solution made the intended a lot harder. So maybe just un-fix that in order to make your map more enjoyable to others. A lot of valve maps also still have unintended shortcuts. They're only great for speed solvers :thumbup:
Image Image Image
My maps: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Portal Stories: Past Power (demo map)
If you're interested, you can also check my steam workshop for even more tests!
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby Ruien » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am

I'm sorry but this map is terrible in its current form.

It appears that there is no portable surface in the connecting room between the two chambers. Because there is only one laser and both the light bridge and door require a laser catcher, it appears that the whole puzzle is in figuring out how to keep the door open, obtain the light bridge with a single portal shot standing right behind the door, and making a double jump onto and off of the light bridge from within the connecting chamber before the door would block it off. So I ran through and got all three cubes without any "puzzle", and then wasted a couple hours trying to set up the aforementioned circuit.

What makes little sense is that you could easily have fixed this by making the platform in the interconnection room a tad longer so that the portal surface is clearly visible. The fact that you don't implies to the player that there is no portal surface and that they must look for a solution similar to the above.

2/5 from me for wasting my time.
Portal 2 Engineer - A map designed to make you think.
Ruien
Mantisman

Postby Szieve » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Ruien wrote:
I'm sorry but this map is terrible in its current form.

It appears that there is no portable surface in the connecting room between the two chambers. Because there is only one laser and both the light bridge and door require a laser catcher, it appears that the whole puzzle is in figuring out how to keep the door open, obtain the light bridge with a single portal shot standing right behind the door, and making a double jump onto and off of the light bridge from within the connecting chamber before the door would block it off. So I ran through and got all three cubes without any "puzzle", and then wasted a couple hours trying to set up the aforementioned circuit.

What makes little sense is that you could easily have fixed this by making the platform in the interconnection room a tad longer so that the portal surface is clearly visible. The fact that you don't implies to the player that there is no portal surface and that they must look for a solution similar to the above.

2/5 from me for wasting my time.

ummm wow. I think with the fixes the map is easier.. spent about 20 min on the first version before noclipping to 2nd room because I was too stupid to see the solution. (ok, I was drunk) Blindrun on this version took less than 10 maybe 15 min. What's the problem? I think the map is on par with any OEM map.

5/5 for fixing unintended and making a good map.
Szieve
Mantisman

Postby Ruien » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Szieve wrote:
spent about 20 min on the first version before noclipping to 2nd room because I was too stupid to see the solution. (ok, I was drunk) Blindrun on this version took less than 10 maybe 15 min. What's the problem?

Well sure - if you noclipped around and played a previous version then you already know that there's a portal surface in the interconnecting room. That's exactly my point. I don't read the forums or download old versions when playing a map, and I shouldn't be expected to noclip around to make sure that I didn't miss some hidden crucial map element.
Ruien
Mantisman

Postby Szieve » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm

in the most recent version there are not any hidden portal surfaces..my noclipping had nothing to do with finding a solution. it just allowed me to bypass the lightbridge puzzle.there is really nothing wrong with this map.I'll admit, I used a portal and just was on the event horizon to get the falling lightbridge cube.. but other than that it reall is pretty straight forward. After I solved, I watched the vid of someone elses solution to an earlier version and found that they did a lot more walking around than was really necessary....
This is not a hard map..I did not find any bugs. Just because you can't solve it does not make it a bad map.
If you think it's a bad map because it took you 2 hours to come up with the solution, try a map like Triplex, or simply resort to playing checkers or solitaire. (that may be more your speed). but please dont' put down mappers who are trying to provide good content.
Szieve
Mantisman

Postby Ruien » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 am

Szieve wrote:
in the most recent version there are not any hidden portal surfaces..

Ah, you are correct. The latest version was also uploaded after my initial comment, so thanks to warnightify for fixing the problem. It really is a great map with this fix.

You may think a trivial change like this can't make a big difference in the quality of a map, say changing it from a 2/5 to 5/5 in quality. By that logic, you'd also consider a small one-liner bug in Portal 2 that causes the game to no longer recognize mouse events to be a minor bug too.
Szieve wrote:
Just because you can't solve it does not make it a bad map.
If you think it's a bad map because it took you 2 hours to come up with the solution, try a map like Triplex, or simply resort to playing checkers or solitaire. (that may be more your speed). but please dont' put down mappers who are trying to provide good content.

Funny you mention Grayarea. Look around before assaulting my intellectual capacity (granted, we all worked on that together). I haven't started Triplex yet.
Ruien
Mantisman

Postby lowenz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am

It's possible to solve the puzzle with 2 cubes only and bypassing the use of funnel.
I'll make the video ;)
lowenz
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

PreviousNext

Return to Community Releases