[SP] Thaw

[SP] Thaw

Postby Marise » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:12 am

As promised, here is the follow-up to The Cold Shoulder. I've brought back the freezing/thawing water mechanic, and done some new things with it. Also featured: gels and faith plates. Enjoy!

v1.2 - More exploit fixes.
v1.1 - Many bugs and exploits fixed.

File Name: sp_thaw_1-2.zip
File Size: 1.76 MiB
Click here to download Thaw
Last edited by Marise on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marise
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Thaw

Postby phobiabug » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:45 pm

I love that idea.So fun to play.

Cons :

-Ceiling texture isnt compabitable with Clean testing scheme.
-On second room there is water with fizzlers which i can skip over without whole puzzle.
-I dont know but lighting give me some strangeness.
-Too bad , whole map doesn't have observation rooms.

Except these , there is some goodness in map.

Pros :

-Great idea.
-Hard puzzle.
-Fun to play.
-Advanced.

I'am waiting next of that.
phobiabug
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Korl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Great concept, I especially liked the puzzle of getting the ball out.

Two observations:

- in the first room the ice looks like water. I spent effort trying to freeze the laser cube at the freeze grid.

- in the red gel room, the liquid should be lethal otherwise there is no need for the gel.
Korl
Defective Turret

Postby Marise » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:33 pm

How odd; I put a hurt trigger in that water. I'll check out all this stuff when I work on the next update. Thanks, guys.
Winner of the Nobel Prize for Being Immune to Neurotoxin

Thanks for over 1,000 downloads: The Cold Shoulder
Marise
Community Contributor

Postby OnePortalizedGal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Really enjoyed this map - thanks for making another one using these elements. Keep up the good work!
OnePortalizedGal
Mantisman

Postby benvent » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Nice follow up to your other map. I missed the jump in the red gel room and landed in the water and it killed me. The only weird thing was in the room where you get the ball. The small area that you need to thaw to get to the other side looked strange when I was crawling through. Like the texture was moving with me or something. Anyway, nice job.5/5
"I am not a Marshmallow"
benvent
Mantisman

Postby KillerBeeGees » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 am

Very cool. Didn't play your first one, but I'll probably go dig it up now. I'd second the sterile lighting, the weird reflections when crouch walking in shallow water, and the first meltable surface looking like water.

Other things I would consider revising:
- The orange gel dropper looks way better to me than the blue one. The blue "tube" with the black to orange metal texture also seems to have a seam showing when you look up into it. This is also the case in the orange gel room, where the floor ramps up there's some black showing from certain angles.

-The first Aerial Faith Plate didn't get me over the wall on the first try, seems like there's plenty of headroom to make that a non-issue. I also had an issue with this AFP, as well as the the third one, where I would be bounced up into the air about twice as high as a normal jump instead of being launched.

Minor gripes/possibly intentional choices:
- The textures seem a little arbitrary, I think the mixing of tile sizes is a good idea to help break up metal walls, but I think a little more pattern could go a long way for the aesthetics here. Especially in places where you have a few black tiles in a wall of grey, it just seems odd for them to not be in any sort of rows/columns. I also much prefer the ripply glass elongated lights to the big bright squares.

- The blue gel flow patter is a little bigger than the tube it's coming out of of, so it overlaps and looks a little messy.

- The opening and closing door between the final two rooms. It is pretty apparent that you'll be needing to backtrack, and having that door open permanently like the last one seems preferable to having it open and close and show you it's un-stenciled side

- You can get behind the grate that covers the big wall and make new portals, which lets you get on the AFP up high. I used the blue gel to get up there the first time, but found this route later.

-Maybe consider adding some directional red light coming off of the heater fans to make their function even more explicit. I actually melted the initial block of ice by accident and combining that with it appearing to be water rather than ice made things a bit confusing...

-The laser cubes just reappearing if they are killed is a little sloppy. I imagine you're quite aware of that one though, maybe just testing the puzzle more thoroughly before putting in droppers.

That's pretty much every bad thing I have to say about the map... I hope it's helpful, because I really like the mechanic you're developing here. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Get the latest version of:
Climbing Companion
KillerBeeGees
Community Contributor

Postby Marise » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 am

I actually used the gel dropper instances, so no idea why they look different. I noticed that the blue gel clips through the tube, but didn't want to mess with the instance.

I am also not sure why the first ice looks like water, because for me it looks like ice. I'd love to fix it, but right now I have no idea what the problem is. D'oh.

KillerBeeGees, can you please tell me how you got behind that grate?

Marise
Community Contributor

Postby andyb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 am

You have a full tile width between the grate and the wall that allows you to through far enough to place portals.Not a big problem. I would consider moving the sphere holder into the last room and puttinga laser barrier up so people cant use blue gel either.The sphere would open the door and disable the laser.
andyb
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby Kirby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Great map! Love the concept.

I did, however, find one minor exploit:

The part where you had to get the ball over the wall and down to the other side

I managed to do it just by jumping and giving the ball a light toss over the wall. No crazy throw glitches either.

Only after did I realize that there was a much more streamlined way to accomplish the same thing...

Perhaps you could add a grate to prevent that exploit/indicate that there is a better way?
Kirby
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby gurcrist » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:02 pm

I didn't hear any sound from the faith plates when I triggered them.. Other than that, I loved the concept. Fun stuff :) Was is intentional to throw the cube/edgeless cube over the walls?
gurcrist
Defective Turret

Postby Marise » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:01 pm

It is not intentional to be able to throw any cube or sphere over any wall. If there is another place where this is possible (where it affects the puzzle) please let me know. Thanks, guys.

Marise
Community Contributor

Postby KennKong » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

When I saw this listing, I thought I should play "The Cold Shoulder" first, but apparently version 1.3 of that isn't working.

Perhaps it's because I've been playing Nystrke's and Jonatan's maps lately, but the puzzle elements here seemed really easy. That's a good thing, actually, because my brain is fried.

I like the water/ice mechanic. Functionally, it's no different than a lightbridge or laser grill, but it looks interesting.

I noticed that the blue gel goes into the water pit to the left of the exit, which seems inconsistent with the original game. Since that pit has no purpose that I can see, I would get rid of it. The heater by the faith plate is also superfluous, but it's not illogical.

I would give this map a 3 for it's mixed up looks and easy puzzle, but I'll reward your creativity for the new mechanic with a 4.
Expand for my full signature |
My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works
KennKong
Community Contributor

Postby Marise » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I am uploading a new version which should fix all the non-visual issues. I may come back to the visuals later.

By the way, KennKong, if you thought this was too easy, you may not like The Cold Shoulder. It was more proof of concept than puzzle. Just a heads-up ;)

Marise
Community Contributor

Postby John11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Fun level and neat new concept. I did a least portal run of it for fun:
John11
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases