[Coop] Puffin

[Coop] Puffin

Postby Nyskrte » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 pm

In response to macko68.

Expected Playtime: ~1 hour.

File Name: mp_coop_puffin.rar
File Size: 4.51 MiB
Click here to download Puffin
Last edited by Nyskrte on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
User avatar
Nyskrte
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Nyskrte » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 am

Obligatory double-post to link signature and leave room for teaser screenshots.
(because updates on the first post break image links in it)

Image

As always feedback is appreciated.

1.01:
-Removed a misaligned texture before anyone noticed.
-Added intro text.
-More variety to the textures.
-You can no longer get caught on the vent.
-Repacked it to reduce download filesize.
Last edited by Nyskrte on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(SP Mappack) NYS-5 Series - HARD MODE (20% Complete)
(CO-OP) Orb Facility (Updated as of February 14th 2012, v1.06)
(CO-OP) Impetuosity (Updated as of April 18th 2012, v1.15)
(CO-OP) Puffin (Updated as of March 6th 2012, v1.06)
User avatar
Nyskrte
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby macko68 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Nyskrete hats off. That was much better. Took us over an hour but that was mainly to the fact that until the very end we didn`t use a cube:) This was due to the fact that we didn`t see that fizzler from cube goes off for few seconds, we thought that you need to deactivate it. We had lots of fun figuring out how to make it without the cube and use reversed lightbridge to get to the button over the lightbridge and rotating gel to get to the second platform. I don`t know if that all was intended. Personally I prefer this kind of chambers - small with twist and the more fizzlers the better :) All in all a top release. Thank you for your hard work.
macko68
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 59
Joined: May 30, 2011

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Nyskrte » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 pm

macko68 wrote:
Nyskrete hats off. That was much better. Took us over an hour but that was mainly to the fact that until the very end we didn`t use a cube:) This was due to the fact that we didn`t see that fizzler from cube goes off for few seconds, we thought that you need to deactivate it. We had lots of fun figuring out how to make it without the cube and use reversed lightbridge to get to the button over the lightbridge and rotating gel to get to the second platform. I don`t know if that all was intended. Personally I prefer this kind of chambers - small with twist and the more fizzlers the better :) All in all a top release. Thank you for your hard work.
Quite impressive work getting up to the second floor without a cube. I'm glad this map I hammered out shortly after seeing your response tickled your fancy more than Impetuosity. I will be patching out this method shortly however as it circumvents the set piece of the map too obviously.

1.02/1.03:
-Offending portal surfaces moved.
-Removed another surface that also broke the level progression. Thanks Apoth.
-Realized how fragile blue gel makes puzzles.
(SP Mappack) NYS-5 Series - HARD MODE (20% Complete)
(CO-OP) Orb Facility (Updated as of February 14th 2012, v1.06)
(CO-OP) Impetuosity (Updated as of April 18th 2012, v1.15)
(CO-OP) Puffin (Updated as of March 6th 2012, v1.06)
User avatar
Nyskrte
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Raidix » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Really good map! :thumbup:
It looks awesome, puzzles are really challenging and length is fine as well. ;)
It took us ~20 minutes to solve it.
User avatar
Raidix
Defective Turret
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sep 25, 2011
Location: Germany

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby PortalCombat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:56 pm

really nice map with a good looking testchamber. :thumbup:
voted 5/5 stars.

We have played the v1.01 of your map yesterday and gonna play the v1.03 today.
I am pretty sure we did not solve it the correct way yesterday, but we will see if it changed with v1.03.


Edit:
Ok, we have played the map now with v1.03 and you did some good changes.
Altough we are not sure if we used the correct solution. o.O

So I would suggest a video with the correct solution, please. :)

Thanks for mapping, please keep up the good work. :)


Regards
PortalCombat
My Maps created with Hammer Editor:
[coop]: my first map: 1 | Tower Defense: 1 2 | theory-driven: 1
new: [COOP] Bridge Building (I have spent 152 hours on this one!)
My Maps created with PTI:
[SP]: Fast and Complex: 1 2 | Abstract Science: 1 2 | No Elements: 1 2 | Constant Companion: 1 2
[coop]: Teamwork Required: 1 2 3 4 5 | Better Think Twice: 1 2 3
[COOP] Better Think Twice - Brainteaser (estimated blindrun playtime 90+ minutes)
[COOP] Accelerated Thinking - Brainteaser (estimated blindrun playtime 50+ minutes)
Custom Items: New Game Element - Sphere Cannon
User avatar
PortalCombat
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Apr 25, 2011
Location: Germany

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Nyskrte » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I don't want to post the intended solution myself, I'm hoping that others will figure it out without my intervention. :lol:

1.04:
-Removed a light source that returned from the grave in 1.03.
-Added negative reinforcement.
(SP Mappack) NYS-5 Series - HARD MODE (20% Complete)
(CO-OP) Orb Facility (Updated as of February 14th 2012, v1.06)
(CO-OP) Impetuosity (Updated as of April 18th 2012, v1.15)
(CO-OP) Puffin (Updated as of March 6th 2012, v1.06)
User avatar
Nyskrte
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby BlumCoLe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:38 pm

PortalCombat wrote:
really nice map with a good looking testchamber. :thumbup:
voted 5/5 stars.

We have played the v1.01 of your map yesterday and gonna play the v1.03 today.
I am pretty sure we did not solve it the correct way yesterday, but we will see if it changed with v1.03.

Here it is! :)



PortalCombat wrote:
Thanks for mapping, please keep up the good work. :)

/sign :thumbup:

//v1.03 encoding in progress...
Last edited by BlumCoLe on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit me on ► youtube ◄
User avatar
BlumCoLe
Mantisman
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Jul 6, 2011
Location: Germany

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Nyskrte » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 pm

I see the issue here, the intended solution is too precise, you try it, but then opted out when it was proving too difficult to execute. I'll look into ways of making it more reliable, remove the water bug on the gel platform and phase out that other unintended solution. Other than that everything else seems to be flowing the way the puzzle was originally intended.

1.05:
-Gel rotation denied. This should shutdown most of the skips now.
-Made the intended solution easier to execute.
-No more drowning when portalling through the gel platform.
-Moved a part of the puzzle to ensure a step is met.
(SP Mappack) NYS-5 Series - HARD MODE (20% Complete)
(CO-OP) Orb Facility (Updated as of February 14th 2012, v1.06)
(CO-OP) Impetuosity (Updated as of April 18th 2012, v1.15)
(CO-OP) Puffin (Updated as of March 6th 2012, v1.06)
User avatar
Nyskrte
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby c4n » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Oh hi

We did play this map today, quite the good map here ! :thumbup:
Was quite a lot of fun, we solved it in about ~30mn, but we didn't notice that we had to take the cube with us to the end ;D So we had a lot of fun trying to get to the end without doing each step again, with the cube.

Oh and the jump between the two plateform with blue on it (batman style as we say it) was quite fun, to figure out that you could get to the top only by falling a little, and jumping again with good timing if you see what I mean


Well overall a good time with my coop partner :thumbup:
c4n
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 22, 2012

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby BlumCoLe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Nyskrte wrote:
I see the issue here, the intended solution is too precise, you try it, but then opted out when it was proving too difficult to execute.

It is too hard, we're too weak! ^^

Gameplay v1.03:

If you like it and/or it helps: *THUMBS UP* :)

Keep it up!
Last edited by BlumCoLe on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit me on ► youtube ◄
User avatar
BlumCoLe
Mantisman
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Jul 6, 2011
Location: Germany

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 pm

We made a mistake, we started well after midnight.
My head exploded a couple dozen of times. Once again, great map.

One thing we encountered though was that the cube-dropper-fizzler was very very tight, it ended up fizzling about 65% of all our cubes. That was highly frustrating. All in all it's another mindbender! 5/5.
User avatar
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 2,919
Joined: May 3, 2011
Location: In a pet zoo nearby.

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Djinndrache » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 pm

lpfreaky90 wrote:
We made a mistake, we started well after midnight.
My head exploded a couple dozen of times. Once again, great map.

One thing we encountered though was that the cube-dropper-fizzler was very very tight, it ended up fizzling about 65% of all our cubes. That was highly frustrating. All in all it's another mindbender! 5/5.


^ this plus being half-asleep instead of thinking. That's what our blindrun will look like ;)
User avatar
Djinndrache
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 1,345
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Germany

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Djinndrache wrote:
lpfreaky90 wrote:
We made a mistake, we started well after midnight.
My head exploded a couple dozen of times. Once again, great map.

One thing we encountered though was that the cube-dropper-fizzler was very very tight, it ended up fizzling about 65% of all our cubes. That was highly frustrating. All in all it's another mindbender! 5/5.


^ this plus being half-asleep instead of thinking. That's what our blindrun will look like ;)

We also came up with a new rule of thumb: "Don't start Nyskrte maps after 3am" :thumbup:
User avatar
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 2,919
Joined: May 3, 2011
Location: In a pet zoo nearby.

Re: [Coop] Puffin

Postby KennKong » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 am

Redunzl and I started this one after mignight. Just when we decided to quit, we had that facepalm moment when we saw the piece that we were missing. Maybe next week, although I may try to solve it alone, switching players (everything we had done up to the point we quit could be done without coordinated timing, but not having explored the missing piece yet, I don't know for sure.) It clearly is another one of your masterpieces, albeit not one of your epics. We won't rate it 'til we've solved it, but I'm certain it's getting a 5.
Expand for my full signature |
My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works
User avatar
KennKong
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Jul 9, 2011
Location: Lockhart, FL, USA

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 
Next

Return to Community Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 6 guests